VMware Communities
YRnene
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to start the virtual machine.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600H with Radeon Graphics 3.30 GHz
Memory: 16GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU
Why is this happening? Why is this happening? My VirtualBox virtual machine can start normally.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

What version of Workstation?  What guest OS?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Without a vmware.log file that has details on why the VM did not start, all we can do is guess.
As that is not a very productive way of troubleshooting, please go to your VM's folder, find the most recent vmware.log file and attach it to your reply here.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ゴルシ危うし
Contributor
Contributor

Same question here.

I'm using VMware workstation pro 17.0.2 build-21581411 on windows insider version 25357.

0 Kudos
YRnene
Contributor
Contributor

Here is my vmware.log.

0 Kudos
YRnene
Contributor
Contributor

My WorkStation version is 17.0.2 build-21581411. Any VMware virtual machines fail to start.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Many users have reported issues running Workstation on Canary Channel versions of Windows 11. 

The standard answer you’ll probably get from VMware is to use a retail channel or preview channel release. Microsoft obviously broke compatibility under the hood, which is not improbable as these Canary releases have features that may or may not get included in future Windows versions  I doubt that VMware is going to support or release a fix to make Workstation run on an pre-beta development version of Windows.

One thing you might want to try is to disable Hyper-V, memory integrity, and Virtualization Based Secuity (search the web, there’s lots of posts on how to do this). This will allow the native VMware hypervisor to be used. That’s still no guarantee that Workstation will work. 

Another thing is to see if all of the Hyper-V components are installed on that Canary release. Who knows what Microsoft is including in these alpha-release versions?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi @YRnene 

What @Technogeezer said.
A few additional notes.
If you want to see if you are using VMware's hypervisor then you'd be looking for the following string in the vmware.log:

2023-05-20T19:40:40.036Z In(05) vmx Monitor Mode: ULM

Once monitor mode is CPL0 you'd be using the VMware version.

Another thing you can try is to drop the CPU count from 2 to 1.

It's not really a solution as it will make your VM slow, but my guess is that you can then boot.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos