VMware Communities
devicemanager
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Failed to start the virtual machine

Recently had to restart my computer due to windows updates and accidentally shut the system down while the vm was running.

After reboot I noticed the server wasn't running and can not start it with the above error.  Its running on workstation 10.1 and I have attached the log file.  Also deleted the .lck files but still no luck.

Restarted all the services, they seem to stop and start fine. 

Please help Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

2015-05-17T10:31:14.613-04:00| vmx| I120: [msg.vmx.nestedHyperV] VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role from the system before running VMware Workstation.

It looks like the system started with Hyper-V enabled. Do you have another boot option with Hyper-V disabled?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

2015-05-17T10:31:14.613-04:00| vmx| I120: [msg.vmx.nestedHyperV] VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role from the system before running VMware Workstation.

It looks like the system started with Hyper-V enabled. Do you have another boot option with Hyper-V disabled?

André

0 Kudos
devicemanager
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No the host is a windows 8.1 - and the vm is server 2012 r2 - but I do not have any hyper V services installed.

0 Kudos
devicemanager
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did see the service was there and running - disabled it and still wont run?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Workstation can only run 32-bit guests with binary translation when running nested under Hyper-V, because Hyper-V doesn't virtualize the hardware-assisted virtualization features of the physical CPU.  If you'd like to run in this mode, at a severe performance penalty, add the following option to your VM's configuration file:

vmx.allowNested = TRUE

Otherwise, remove the Hyper-V role from the system and reboot.

devicemanager
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, I want VMware all the way.  Are you saying I need to not only disable it but remove it completely? 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Other that to completely removing Hyper-V, you could create a secondary boot option, which allows you to start the host with or without Hyper-V (see e.g. Switch easily between VirtualBox and Hyper-V with a BCDEdit boot Entry in Windows 8.1 - Scott Hansel...)

André

devicemanager
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked thank you all for your help!

0 Kudos