VMware Communities
michaelwjoyner
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to start LSB: This service starts and stops VMware services. ** NEW INSTALL

I just installed the most recent version of VM Workstation Pro 12 on Ubuntu 16.04. The installation went well but the services wont start on startup. I am totally lost.

This is a screenshot of the log :

pastedImage_0.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
donpezet
Contributor
Contributor

I've seen that error before when I installed VMware Workstation on a machine that has installed a kernel update, but not rebooted yet. It seems the modules get installed to the currently running kernel and not the one you are about to boot from, or vice versa. I'm not sure if that is your issue, but here are the steps I used to fix it:

Perform any outstanding updates

sudo apt update

sudo apt upgrade

sudo apt dist-upgrade

Reboot and make sure you choose the latest kernel in your grub menu (should be the default)

sudo reboot

Re-install the VMware Workstation Kernel modules

sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

Reboot one more time to make sure the modules load

sudo reboot

Again, this may not be your problem at all, but it has worked for me in the past. If this isn't your problem, then my steps will have no positive/negative effect at all aside from wasting 5 minutes of your time Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
michaelwjoyner
Contributor
Contributor

I will try that now donpezet​ thank you

0 Kudos
michaelwjoyner
Contributor
Contributor

For some reason the services are running as root and for my user account they are showing closed donpezet

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
donpezet
Contributor
Contributor

The VMware Workstation services run as root by default. Only the UI and application tray icon run as your user. Also, the VMware plugin for Vagrant runs as root in order to interact with VMware Workstation. When you installed the plugin you should have received a message like this:

Vagrant is installing the VMware plugin which requires

root access. You may be prompted for your password to

complete setup.

Consider running "sudo journalctl -f" and watching the log files as you run "vagrant up" to see what log messages are being generated outside of the ones you have seen so far. Sorry I can't be more help, but at this point your problem could be in VMware Workstation, the Vagrant plugin or even in Ubuntu itself.

0 Kudos
michaelwjoyner
Contributor
Contributor

Does this help at all donpezet

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos