VMware Communities
oCrouchy
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to power on 'VM' - Error - VMware Workstation Pro 15.5

Hi all,

I've recently installed VMWare Workstation 15: 15.5.0 build-14665864 and I'm unable to power on any VM's that I've created. I'm using an evaluation license, 30 day free trial.

The error I receive is: "Failed to power on 'D:\Virtual Machines\VM-GNS3-01\VM-GNS3-01.vmx'."

Power_Error.png

I've trawled the web for hours trying many potential solutions but nothing has resolved the issue such as:

disabling Hyper-V via bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

uninstalling Hyper-V via Programs & Features

disabled device guard virtualisation security via GPedit

disabled memory integrity within Windows security

removed BCD features:

bcdedit /create {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} /d "DebugTool" /application osloader

bcdedit /set {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} path "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\SecConfig.efi"

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} bootsequence {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215}

bcdedit /set {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} loadoptions DISABLE-LSA-ISO,DISABLE-VBS

disabled and re-enabled virtualisation support in BIOS.

My system: Intel i7-9750H, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro 1903; build 18362.356

Attached is my VMware ui log file.

Any help is appreciated, and questions are more than welcome.

27 Replies
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

would you please check that if there is vmware.log generated in the VM's folder when you try to power on? If yes, help to upload it, thanks

0 Kudos
oCrouchy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi yanw,

There aren't any log files in the directory where the VM is stored unfortunately. My GNS3 VM has somehow just randomly started working , but my other VM's like Kali and Win10 still aren't working.

Error2.png

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Did you try to power-on another new VM and add the old VM's virtual disks to this new one?!

Also modify the configuration file of your VM (.vmx file) and check it's correctness by comparing with vmx file of another healthy VM, maybe modify it in a wrong way ...

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
oCrouchy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Amin,

I haven't tried that, I will try it later when I am home.

How do I modify the config of a VMX file? What should I be looking for?

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

you can edit *.vmx file with each editor like notepad / WordPad in windows (Wordpad is better because of showing structure of config file) and do it with vi or Leafpad in Linux (vi is not graphical tools, it's a CLI editor)

Open one of the *.vmx files and you can see the VM's config (I strongly recommended to get a backup from that file, size of them are very small) then try to edit that

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
oCrouchy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Amin,

Today when I launched VMware Workstation, none of my VM's would power on. Received the same message. Nothing's changed.

I checked the VMX files, compared a previously working one with a known broken one, the configs look similar but not exact. I haven't previously edited these files so can't see there being a mistake in there as they were generated by the software.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Only things that I can suggest:

1. Add existing VMDK files to a fresh and healthy VM that can be started and try to access you data.

2. clone the VM and test this new one VM

3. Upgrade hardware compatibility of VM

4. Check VM log files in duration of power-on action

5. Downgrade your VMware Workstation version.

kenyoung80125
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem. But if I reboot my Computer then I can Start My VM's. but after about 30 min to an hour, If shut down any of my VM's then I have to reboot my system to fire the VM's back up but once they are running there is no problem. Until I shut down any of my VM's. I have reinstalled VMWare workstation 15.5 and also reinstalled fresh VM's. and still have  the same problem  I i hope there is a fix for this real soon.

markih
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue on a brand new  laptop and spent a long time searching for a fix..I found help and information here Dixin's Blog - Run Hyper-V and VMware virtual machines on Windows 10 FULL credit goes to Dixin's Blog on this link.

This is the page on the VMware knowledge base regarding the issue. However, it does not give a fix. VMware Knowledge Base

Here is the page on the Microsoft web site explaining how to manage Windows Defender Credential Guard which is the root on the VMware workstation problem Manage Windows Defender Credential Guard (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs

I created 2 batch files to fix the issue based on the information on the page mentioned  so I do not claim credit, I ran them on my laptop with the same issue and now my VMware virtuals are working again, happy days.

Before you begin I would suggest you make a backup of your system. If you already have a drive using the letter L you will need to change the drive letter in the second batch file on the line set FREE_MOUNT_VOL_DRIVELETTER=L: I don't have a drive using letter L so it worked fine for me. Use notepad pr your favourite text editor to create the batch files.

Once you have created the batch files save them somewhere obvious like your Desktop. Before you run them close ALL open programs as the second batch file reboots the PC. To run them right click them and select Run as administrator.

After the reboot you will be prompted to confirm you want the changes to be applied. You need to press F3 in both cases to apply the fixes.

I have attached the batch files that I used. I will repeat the you should make a system backup before you attempt the 'repair'. I also suggest that you read the web pages I have provided links for at the top of the page. Again I will point out that this is not my work and that I am posting the information in the hope that it will get your PC running VMware Workstation again. Good luck and I hope that it works for you.

RUN THE BATCH FILES IN THE ORDER LISTED! DisableHyperV.cmd FIRST and DeleteCredGuard.cmd SECOND. ALSO BE AWARE THAT THIS LOWERS YOU PCs SECURITY BUT YOU CANNOT RUN YOUR VMs WITHOUT DOING IT.

First batch file is to disable Hyper-V which I named DisableHyperV.cmd. These are the contents of the batch file.

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

dism /Online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:Microsoft-Hyper-V-All /NoRestart

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA /v LsaCfgFlags /d 0 /f /t REG_DWORD

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard" /v EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity /d 0 /f /t REG_DWORD

Second batch file is to 'fix' the Device Guard which prevents VMware Workstation from working correctly. I named this batch file DeleteCredGuard.cmd. These are the contens of the batch file.

set FREE_MOUNT_VOL_DRIVELETTER=L:

mountvol %FREE_MOUNT_VOL_DRIVELETTER% /s

copy C:\WINDOWS\System32\SecConfig.efi L:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\SecConfig.efi /Y

bcdedit /create {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} /d "DG" /application osloader

bcdedit /set {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} path "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\SecConfig.efi"

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} bootsequence {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215}

bcdedit /set {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} loadoptions DISABLE-LSA-ISO,DISABLE-VBS

bcdedit /set {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} device partition=%FREE_MOUNT_VOL_DRIVELETTER%

mountvol %FREE_MOUNT_VOL_DRIVELETTER% /d

shutdown /t 0 /r

0 Kudos
oCrouchy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Markih,

Thanks for your suggestions - I have already tried the steps that you describe which successfully resolved the Credential Guard errors. This however, doesn't resolve the issues I currently face.

0 Kudos
markih
Contributor
Contributor

Hi oCrouchy,

Sorry what I posted wasn't what you needed.

The main one that I would try first is to clone the VM to a new VM. That would be the first thing that I would try.

Does your VM have any snapshots? I've had machines fail when VMware Workstation is using a main VMDK rather than the snapshotted one.

Can you try copying the VM folder in full to a different physical disk then using File Open to add it into VMware Workstation?

Could you have a go at mapping the disk(s) using File/Map Virtual Disks? This should give you a list of all the volumes on the so that you can mount your system columewhich is usually the largest one.

Sorry for all the questions but have you tried everthing that Amin suggested as there's some good ideas there?

It may have been mentioned but

Good luck!

0 Kudos
markih
Contributor
Contributor

The log you posted is showing many file access errors where VMware Workstation is unable to access files or read file attributes. I would definitely try disabling any anti-virus / anti-malware software that you have installed. If this works you will ned to add exclusions for all the VMware Workstation folders.

Maybe fire up msconfig and try Diagnostic Startup to see if VMware will start the VM then. You will need to look through the Services tab to ensure that all VMware services are being allowed to start.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
kenyoung80125
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the scripts but they didn't solve the problem so I created a Batch file that just stops the services when I get the error message when I try to start my VM's. I just run the script and then start my VM workstation back up and then my VM's will load without having to reboot.

Just copy this to notepad and then rename it to a .bat file The Run as Administrator

taskkill /f /im vmware.exe"

taskkill /f /im vmnat.exe"

taskkill /f /im vmware-authd.exe"

taskkill /f /im vmware-hostd.exe"

taskkill /f /im vmware-tray.exe"

taskkill /f /im vmware-usbarbitrator64.exe"

taskkill /f /im vmware-utility-helper.exe"

taskkill /f /im vmware-vmx.exe"

taskkill /f /im vmnetdhcp.exe"

pause

oCrouchy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Markih,

Don't apologise, I need all the help I can get!

So I tried booting via diagnostic startup but it disables all VMWare services so I was unable to power any VM's on due to the services not running.

Turning my AV & Firewall off resulted in receiving the same message unfortunately.

I was unable to try any of Amins latest suggestions due to none of my VM's being able to power on. None of them have ever been powered on so there are no snapshots either.

I moved one VM to another physical disk (D:\ to C:\), removed it from VMWare, reopened it via File > Open... and received the same error when trying to power on from the new location.

I was successfully able to clone the VM without any errors however when powering on the newly cloned VM, I received the same error.

Mounting the VM's disk as a virtual drive resulted in a different outcome. I'm not sure if it was caused by the VM's never being powered on and there being nothing in the disks; however I received an error stating "Error reading volume information. Please select another disk file". I got this error for all of my VM's disks. I moved the disks to other physical drives and tried again, same error. I also tried creating brand new VM's, then mounting their disks, same error.

MapDIsk.png

You mentioned that the error file contains read errors - how can I resolve this if disabling my AV & Firewall doesn't effect it? Does your VM logs show anything similar?

kenyoung80125, that batch file that you suggested I create is now allowing me to only run one brand new VM at a time. I still get the failed to power on error for my existing VM's. After running the batch, creating a new VM and powering it on I receive a UAC prompt, after accepting, the VM powers on. But like you say, if I shut that VM down, I can no longer power it on again. What is the UAC prompt enabling? I wouldn't class this as a resolution unfortunately.

UAC.png

0 Kudos
markih
Contributor
Contributor

OK I think I understand where you are at a little better with your last reply. I did see a few errors in my log file but I don't think that is your issue.

Using Msconfig you would need to click on the Services tab AFTER selecting Diagnostic startup. Here you can enable just the VMware services indiviually and there are only 5. But I don't think this is your issue.Soyou can skip past this. Make sure you used Msconfig to go back to normal startup though.

You were not able to Map the drive as you have not yet installed an operating system so your virtual disk is not initialised.

If you want to do a quick test click on the VM menu then the option for Power and finally Start up guest. If you get further than before and don't get the error you should be ready to install your guest operating system.

I presume that you do have an ISO or CD/DVD of the operating system that would want to install? If you don't your VM will never start. I didn't realise that you hadn't installed the O/S yet.

For your VM you need to find Edit virtual machine settings. There are a number of ways to do this and the helpfile is your friend, press F1 to view it. You will need to be connected to the internet.

Once you are in settings locate CD/DVD in the left hand column and click on it. You will now see on the right  options relating to the virtual optical drive. If you have a physical CD/DVD disc click on the radio button next to Use physical drive. You can usually leave the default of Auto detect or if you have problems you can set it to the drive letter of your optical drive.

If you have an ISO file of the operating system click the radio button next to Use ISO image file (this will be quicker than a physical drive). Now click on Browse and use the dialogue to locate the ISO image of you chosen operating system.

Make sure that you click on Connect at power on at the top of the dialogue.

Click on Ok to accept the settings. You can go back and change them if you need to.

Now you are ready to power on and create your VM. Once you power on the VM you will most likely need to click on the VM window and then press a key to boot from the CD/DVD.

If you have configured your VM to use UEFI firmware you will need to use the VMware Workstation VM menu to power on so that you can tell the guest VM that you want to boot from a CD/DVD. So open the VM menu, follow the Power menu then at the bottom you will see Power on to firmware.

Once you get this far you need to arrow down to EFI VMware virtual SATA CDROM. If you can't arrow down click inside the VMware guest window.

Now hopefully you will see your guest VM boot into the installation program.

I've got everything crossed for you!

0 Kudos
oCrouchy
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not having an issue with installing the OS, I can't install it because the VM won't power on!

I am familiar with getting VM's to boot from ISO's and I can confirm the ISO's I'm using are working because I've used the same ISO's for VM's in Hyper-V and Virtual Box. But thank you for your instructions.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

@ Alex Thomson

the map virtual disk function is not supposed to work - that is normal.

0 Kudos
markih
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry it was late! What I posted was because you mapped the drive but the virtual disk had no volumes in it so obviously no partitions had been created. I am surprised you didn't get errors installing the O/S as the virtual disk was still empty. What size is the vmdk file for the disk?

What O/S did you install?

Can you install a diferent O/S into a new VM? Also create a new folder to use for the VM so that it will be created with full permissions for your account, saved messing with folder security/permissions.1

What O/S is the VM that you can't get to power on, version 64/32 bit etc? I can see if I can reporuce the same problem.

Are you able to boot a Linux distro and then run it live rather than installing it?

Sorry for the questions but I'm trying to know exactly what you've done so I can try the same.

Have you tried re-running the installer and choosing repair to get the VMware Workstation install checked?

0 Kudos
oCrouchy
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried to repair my installation, hasn't fixed the issue.

I will describe the exact steps using a brand new VM up until the point where I get the error:

Launch VMWare Workstation Pro 15.

File > New Virtual Machine...

Typical (recommended) configuration > Next

Installer disc image file (iso): D:\Images\Windows\Desktop\Windows10_1903.iso > Next

Virtual machine name: VM-WIN10-02 | Location: D:\Test (New folder I've just created through Browse...) > Next

Maximum disk size (GB): 60.0 | Split virtual disk into multiple files > Next

Review configuration:

VM.png

Power on this virtual machine after creation: Ticked > Finish

VMWare creates the disk...

In the new VM tab for VM-WIN10-02 > Power on this virtual machine

Error message:

Error.png

I'm trying to boot GNS3 which is a pre-built Linux VM - same error message.

The WIndows ISO above is x64. I've installed this same ISO on a Hyper-V machine and Virtual Box.

0 Kudos