VMware Communities
JXCVMWare
Contributor
Contributor

Fail to suspend a machine with multiple VMDK files created

I have trouble suspending my Kali machine on my windows host with a Win10x64 on i5 with 16GB Ram. I do not have alot my space left on my hard disk as my VMware keeps creating alot of vmdk files for me which is very frustrating. What could I do? 

I try creating a new snapshot to and delete it to  consolidate all the vmdk files but its not working as well. Could someone please help?

JXCVMWare_0-1633780690330.pngJXCVMWare_1-1633780795500.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The checkpoint error is a sign something is wrong, but hard to say what. It just might be because of a lack of free disk space, but that's a guess.

You shouldn't suspend a VM when you have free disk space constraints anyways as that needs extra disk space for the RAM contents of your VM. In your case, that's a 6GB file already (see the .vmem file in your files screenshot)

@JXCVMWare wrote:

I have trouble suspending my Kali machine on my windows host with a Win10x64 on i5 with 16GB Ram. I do not have alot my space left on my hard disk as my VMware keeps creating alot of vmdk files for me which is very frustrating.

All of the -s0xx.vmdk files are making up your virtual disk.
You can't remove/rename any of those without causing corruption in your VM.

The -00001-s0xx.vmdk files are your snapshot. By creating additional snapshot your VM will take up more disk space.

There are ways to reclaim all unused disk space in your VM, but that will blow up the size of the disk to the full 60GB, so you cannot do that unless you have sufficient free space.

More details here:
https://www.vi-toolkit.com/wiki/index.php?title=Shrink_guest_on_hosted_platform

edit: Please note that it is highly recommended to keep the split disk file scheme for your virtual disk.
ESPECIALLY when you don't have a lot of free disk space.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please run dir *.* /oen > filelist.txt and attach filelist.txt as well as the VM's .vmsd file to your next reply.

André

0 Kudos