VMware Communities
hkguy
Contributor
Contributor

Fail to install VMware-workstation-6.5.0-118166.i386.rpm to CentOS 3.9

I'm trying to install the VMware Workstation 6.5.0 to a system which is running CentOS 3.9 but it was failed. The rpm command did not report any error message during installation. Any idea?

$ rpm -ivh VMware-workstation-6.5.0-118166.i386.rpm

Preparing... ###########################################

1:VMware-Workstation ###########################################

Extracting VMware Installer...done.

$

Well, VMware-workstation-6.0.5-109488.i386.rpm was working very well on this system.

Thank you.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Got the same results (Ubuntu) in the terminal (ran the bundle) but hidden behind everything was a dialog saying the install went OK.

The terminal session never returned from the install, it must have started as a background job.

And it did complete the install, unfortunately. Smiley Happy

It is almost unusable here. I am going to try to go back a level.

Lou

0 Kudos
hkguy
Contributor
Contributor

When you said "it did complete the install", did you check if all the vmware binaries were installed to /usr/bin ?

There was no vmware binaries installed to /usr/bin on my system after the rpm command finished.

really strange!

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

>>did you check if all the vmware binaries were installed to /usr/bin ?

No, I just did a vmware &, and it ran. Can't look at anything now because I have already un-installed it and returned to 6.0.5.

I think the handwriting is on the wall for workstation on Linux hosts.

Lou

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'm sorry you're having trouble here but this is not the norm.

I'm a little confused by your initial post. It looks like it extracted and installed the RPM fine. And then you said you were able to run vmware. What problem exactly were you hitting?

Christian

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sorry, I was just pointing out that the install complete window came up under everything else and I didn't see it. Thinking that might be the case for the OP. In my case, Vmware then ran OK. I just went back to 6.0.5 because of the full screen/dual monitor failures.

Lou

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Oops, I got confused between your comment and the poster Smiley Happy Sorry about that. Doing too many things at once I think.

0 Kudos
hkguy
Contributor
Contributor

Christian,

No, I was not able to run vmware after the installation. There is no vmware binary or vmware-config.pl in /usr/bin, it seemed that nothing had been installed to the system except rpm registered a package VMware-Workstation-6.0.5-118166 was installed ( I use rpm -q VMware-Workstation to check.) I also tried to use the bundle package, I got the same issue... :smileyshocked:

hkguy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you post /var/log/vmware-installer?

Thanks

-jay

EDIT:

I just noticed that you said this was CentOS 3.9 which is about 5 years old. I don't think the installer worked on RHEL3 this release so I imagine that's why you're seeing the same issue.

hkguy
Contributor
Contributor

Jay,

There was no /var/log/vmware-installer.

I think my system is too old to use the latest vmware workstation.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
zmb
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i have to refer to this problem again. I was installing the bundle.sh and got the same strange behaviour.

dampfbad:/tmp# ls -la

total 346M

drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 4.0K 2009-01-27 22:42 .

drwxr-xr-x 22 root root 4.0K 2009-01-27 22:27 ..

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 345M 2009-01-27 02:10 VMware-Workstation-6.5.1-126130.x86_64.bundle.sh

dampfbad:/tmp# sh ./VMware-Workstation-6.5.1-126130.x86_64.bundle.sh

Extracting VMware Installer...done.

dampfbad:/tmp# md5sum VMware-Workstation-6.5.1-126130.x86_64.bundle.sh

651271ae623936bcd62e2e4092fa404e VMware-Workstation-6.5.1-126130.x86_64.bundle.sh

dampfbad:/tmp#

But I'm not using CentOS. I'm using debian (etch).

There are no binaries installed and there is no file in /var/log/vmware-installer .

I guess I'm missing something because it is a very minimal debian setup. Can you imagine what?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Best regards

zmb

0 Kudos