VMware Communities
Zatara214
Contributor
Contributor

Extremely poor disk performance

Using a Linux host with a Windows 7 guest, my host is almost unusable with the guest running. I have a Sager NP8660 laptop with 4GB of RAM, but it looks almost as if the VM isn't using any of it. The disk is constantly thrashed, and both OSes are slowed to a halt. Using Virtualbox, I don't get this issue, and a machine with the same setup runs as perfectly as I could possibly hope for.

What could be going on here? Some setting enabled by default that I don't know about?

VMware 7, Jolicloud Host (Jaunty based, but problem persists with Karmic kernel booted), Sager NP8660, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Intel P8600 processor

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kingneutron
Expert
Expert

--Posting your .VMX definition file would be a good start...

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA
0 Kudos
Finiderire
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

In VMware Workstation, Edit / Preferences / Memory you could try Fit All Virtual Machine Memory Into Reserved Host RAM.

You could alsot check in the same place that Reserved Memory is set to more than what is configured for your Windows guest.

Are you using Network in the guest ? If so, you may try to remove the virtual network hardware it if you have no use of it.

I suppose your host (and guest) are not installed on an USB external hard disk drive because USB transfer rate may be too poor for an OS virtual or not.

a+,=)

-=Finiderire=-

Configuration :

Windows Seven x64 Ultimate

VMware Workstation 7

0 Kudos