VMware Communities
NewGuy0321
Contributor
Contributor

External HDD (usb) into a VM

I am using VMware Workstation 9, I have a laptop hard drive (which is connected via USB) that has a Win7 (x64) on it which would be bootable if it were installed into a laptop.  I want to convert it to a virtual machine so I can access it on my desktop machine.  I have read some posts referring to workstation 5 but I'm not sure on the exact syntax or operational order for the instructions that were given.  I have created a new VM and attached the source disk using a physical drive...but since neither the source nor destination are on the C:\ drive I'm not sure how to get it fixed so it works how I want it to.

here is what I have:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation>vmware-vdiskmanager.exe -r E:\School\My Virtual Machines\laptop\test2.vmdk -t 0 E:\School\My Virtual Machines\laptop1\test3.vmdk

I've tried to enclose the source disk and destination disk in <> and it errors out.

test2.vmdk has the physical drive mounted but of course it BSODs when I boot it up because I haven't fixed the drivers yet.

Any help in lamen terms would be most helpful.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
NewGuy0321
Contributor
Contributor

In case, anyone comes across this problem here is the fix: vmware-vdiskmanager.exe -r "E:\School\My Virtual Machines\laptop\test2.vmdk" -t 0 "E:\School\My Virtual Machines\laptop1\test3.vmdk"

Now the only issue remaining is that fact it halts after 3.5GB of 225GB total.

0 Kudos