VMware Communities
radetinac1891
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Export 3 machines in an AD lab together

Hi,

I have 3 machines in an AD lab in my VMware workstation pro, but want to now export these to another computer so that they are in the same state and connected on the new computer I have bought. Is there any way to export these 3 as a group?

Or is the only way to export them to OVF individually and then import them into VMware pro on my other computer?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

When I purchased a new system, I just shut the VM's down and copied their directories to the new machine. When I started them up and was asked, I answered with "I moved it". 

Lou

RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

There is absolutely no reason to export to ovf unless you are switching vendors.  As Lou said, just shut down the VMs, close Workstation, then copy all the folders to the new machine.  One caveat - if you have any custom network settings in the Virtual Network Editor, you should load the editor and export the network configuration.  On the new computer, before starting any of the VMs, import the network configuration with the Virtual Network Editor first.

0 Kudos
radetinac1891
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you, will do that also!

Btw, do you know why I get this every time I start up my VMware and click on my Virtual Machines now?  I have to remove the DC.vmx.lck folder, and then it works to start it. But it's annoying to do this every time I boot any of my VM's right now. Not sure why this has happened suddenly.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Shut the VM's down and remove all the lck files and folders. You shouldn't see this again.

0 Kudos
radetinac1891
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Now I get this error even though there is no lck files or folders that I can remove.
But what's interesting is that if I turn off real time-protection in Windows Defender on my host, then I can start vmware and resume the machines ago. How come this happens? Should I exclude the Virtual Machines folder in Defender?

0 Kudos