VMware Communities
indicium
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Existing VM's EFI

Can I modify an existing VM's .vmx file from MBR to EFI or does it only work when creating new VM's?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi indicium,

Our virtual EFI implementation does not include a Compatibility Support Module, which is required to boot a non-EFI-aware OS using EFI.

Contrary to lakshya32's advice, if you have an existing VM with an installed OS and you switch it from BIOS to EFI, it will almost certainly be rendered unbootable.  Switching the firmware back to BIOS should restore the VM to operation; Otherwise, as dayworker correctly says, you will need to reinstall the OS so that it is partitioned for EFI (using GPT instead of MBR) and has the EFI bootloader installed instead of the BIOS bootloader.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dayworker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can change this setting but in most cases you have to install the guest from scratch.

----- Please do not forget to assign reward points, if you find an answer useful.
0 Kudos
lakshya32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Welcome to communities.

both answer is yes

please let us know if have any problem after edit.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi indicium,

Our virtual EFI implementation does not include a Compatibility Support Module, which is required to boot a non-EFI-aware OS using EFI.

Contrary to lakshya32's advice, if you have an existing VM with an installed OS and you switch it from BIOS to EFI, it will almost certainly be rendered unbootable.  Switching the firmware back to BIOS should restore the VM to operation; Otherwise, as dayworker correctly says, you will need to reinstall the OS so that it is partitioned for EFI (using GPT instead of MBR) and has the EFI bootloader installed instead of the BIOS bootloader.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
indicium
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm going to leave the existing VM's alone and use EFI the next time I create a new VM.

0 Kudos