VMware Communities
PhilippD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Exception 0xc0000005 (access violation) connecting USB Device; VM at My Computer works, Shared VMs and ESXi does NOT work

Hi,

Running VMware Workstation 9.0.2 on Windows 7 64bit.

Created a Windows 7 64bit VM at My Computer in VMware Workstation i'm able to connect an USB Device to it and it is recognized inside the VM.

Clone of this VM via Workstation Drag&Drop in the Shared VMs throws this Exception when i click on connect USB Device:

---------------------------

VMware Workstation Error

---------------------------

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vmui)

Exception 0xc0000005 (access violation) has occurred.

A log file is available in "....".

You can request support.

To collect data to submit to VMware support, choose "Collect Support Data" from the Help menu.

You can also run the "vm-support" script in the Workstation folder directly.

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

Same Exception i get when i start this VM on ESXi and use it via VMware Workstation.

Log attached.

mks.enable3d true or false makes no difference

Thanks for help, Philipp

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi PhilippD!

It seems that you've hit a defect which crept into Workstation 9.0.2's handling of remote USB devices.  We've fixed the issue in our internal builds of Workstation, but until an updated version is publicly released, it seems you'll have to roll back to Workstation 9.0.1 if you need to work around the issue.

Sorry for the trouble!

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
PhilippD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nobody an idea?

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Its not supported according to this KB VMware KB: Running VMware Workstation as a server with shared virtual machines

When you share a virtual machine, you lose these features:

• Unity
  • Shared Folders
  • AutoProtect
  • drag and drop
  • copy and paste
  • Thin Print
  • Ability to connect/redirect USB devices from the host to the virtual machine.

But it should still not trigger an exception like that.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi PhilippD!

It seems that you've hit a defect which crept into Workstation 9.0.2's handling of remote USB devices.  We've fixed the issue in our internal builds of Workstation, but until an updated version is publicly released, it seems you'll have to roll back to Workstation 9.0.1 if you need to work around the issue.

Sorry for the trouble!

--

Darius

0 Kudos
PhilippD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

dariusd schrieb:

Hi PhilippD!

Sorry for the trouble!

--

Darius

Hi Darius,

thank you for this information.

Where can i download the Workstation 9.0.1 version, do you have a link for me? At the vmware page i only get the 9.0.2.

Thank you, Philipp

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

On the first page which only offers you the choice of major versions, and only shows version 9.0.2, choose the "Go to Downloads" button next to "VMware Workstation 9.0.2 for Windows", then, on the page with the big green "Download" button(s), you can choose an earlier patch release using the drop-down list near the top.

Here's the page I ended up at: Download Product: VMware Workstation 9.0.1 for Windows.

Cheers,

--

Darius

PhilippD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear Darius,

thank you the version 9.0.1, it works.

BR Philipp

0 Kudos
VVladimir
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey there, I have a little question:

Did you have to revert to 9.0.1 on both server and client side or just server OR client?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
PhilippD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi VVladimir,

im running ESXi 5.1.0 as server.

Clients now running workstation 9.0.1 without a problem.

Philipp

0 Kudos
ClarksonAdmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Has there been any word on whether an update is going to be released?

0 Kudos
PhilippD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It works also with the actual VMware Workstation (10.0.0 build-1295980)

0 Kudos