VMware Communities
ssiri
Contributor
Contributor

Exception 0xc0000005 (access violation) after Moving VM to a new Laptop

Hello,

I've recently moved a Windows XP guest to a new laptop and it will not boot up anymore.
The new host laptop is running the same version of Win 10 Pro as the old host laptop. I've attached the collected support data. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

From the vmware.log
2021-04-16T14:21:32.522+10:00| vmx| I005: Monitor Mode: ULM

It looks it is using ULM (instead of CPL0) for the VMM which means VMware Workstation 15.5.7 detected Hyper-V components running on the Windows 10 host.

If you don't need Hyper-V and its related features on Windows 10 host, you can turn it off and switch back to using the ring 0 VMM (CPL0). The ring 0 VMM is much faster than the ULM.

Refer to this KB on how to remove Hyper-V.
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146361

0 Kudos
ssiri
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

Thanks for the reply. I have disabled hypervisor as per the article. Hoerver, i'm still getting the same error on this particualr VM. My other VMs are working fine.

cheers.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

One way to confirm the Hyper-V component is removed from the host is the Monitor Mode will be CPL0 instead of ULM in the vmware.log.
<timestamp>| vmx| I005: Monitor Mode: CPL0

Another thing to try is change the VMware Hardware Compatibility to 12.x.
Currently, it is set to 15.x.
2021-04-16T14:21:32.514+10:00| vmx| I005: DICT virtualHW.version = "16"

As the guest OS (XP) is very old, it is not really losing anything in terms of virtual hardware features. You can change the virtual hardware compatibility from the VM menu -> Manage -> Change Hardware Compatibility or edit the vmx directly
virtualHW.version="12"

0 Kudos