VMware Communities
Mongo424242
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Eval Guest OS Questions: Windows 7 Audio Distortion, No 3D Support for Windows XP, No Windows 98...? (Workstation Pro 12.5.x)

Hi all,

I just completed evaluating Workstation Pro 12.5 for use in a new server build, and have a few outstanding questions (translation: I am pulling what out what little hair I have left, so please HELP!!!)

My system build:

Host OS: Ubuntu

MD: Gigabyte Z270X (16GB RAM)

Processor: Intel i5

Video Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti

First, I have found that audio in a Windows 7 guest is distorted. After a great deal of searching, I found a (pseudo) solution in removing a specific line (hdaudio =...) from the VM configuration file (Windows 7.vmx). Prior to removing this line, the VM would see the generic audio driver that comes with Windows 7, but after this line is removed, the guest sees the VMWare HD audio driver. While this removes (most of the) distortion, it is still not perfect. Am I missing something here?

Second, all attempts at installing Windows XP SP3 with 3D support will not work. When I started the evaluation, it was on WSP 12.5.6, and I found that, upon installation of VMWare tools with 3D acceleration, I was limited to a display if 320x280x16 (I did not even know there was a 16-bit color until now). If I uncheck the "3D Acceleration" box under display properties, I get my full desktop back (32 bit color, etc). Now that I have 12.5.7, I just get a black screen on booting the guest XP VM. Is the 3D support for XP broken, or am I just not doing something right? It should be noted that 3D acceleration works fine in a Windows 7 guest.

Finally, I cannot even get Windows 98SE (yes, I still use some archaic 16-bit apps) to install. Has Win98 support been removed from Workstation Pro 12.5 altogether as it is so old?

Thanks for any help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

For the audio question please look at the following thread:

Workstation Pro 12.5.2 audio problems (USB headsets and speakers)

Windows XP 3D support should work, but having said that, VMware might have broken the driver.

Although what I would try first in your case is to lower the virtual hardware from version 12 to version 11 and version 10.

For Windows 98 try virtual hardware version 6.

Support for the older OS's is not being removed, but it is not actively maintained. By selecting an older virtual hardware version that was used by the VMware products when the OS was still supported you are increasing your chances of getting things to work.

Btw, you change your virtual hardware with the guest OS shut down then right click on the VM, select manage and adjust hardware compatibility (sorry from memory so might have the exact terms wrong)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

For the audio question please look at the following thread:

Workstation Pro 12.5.2 audio problems (USB headsets and speakers)

Windows XP 3D support should work, but having said that, VMware might have broken the driver.

Although what I would try first in your case is to lower the virtual hardware from version 12 to version 11 and version 10.

For Windows 98 try virtual hardware version 6.

Support for the older OS's is not being removed, but it is not actively maintained. By selecting an older virtual hardware version that was used by the VMware products when the OS was still supported you are increasing your chances of getting things to work.

Btw, you change your virtual hardware with the guest OS shut down then right click on the VM, select manage and adjust hardware compatibility (sorry from memory so might have the exact terms wrong)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
Mongo424242
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you, sir!  Coming from VirtualBox, there are obviously a great many things I have to learn.  I did not know you could regress the hardware compatibility, and going back to Workstation Pro 10.x did the trick for Windows XP.  As for the audio on Windows 7, my sound device is just onboard audio (RealTek ALC1220), and not USB.  As for Windows 98, it will not even let me begin the installation (when I try and regress the hardware compatibility, it just tells me that I need to have the VMare tools installed first, but since I cannot install in the first place... chicken and the egg?).  When I start the install from a bootable iso (or disk... it does the same thing), it gives me an error when it starts to read the install media, and points me to a log file... The big thing, however, was Windows XP, so once again, thank you!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

For windows 98, you can ignore the vmware tools warning. It is just to remind you to install VMware Tools _after_ you have installed the guest OS.

With Windows 98 I seem to remember that the CDs were not bootable, you had to boot from a floppy that loaded the cdrom driver and then you could insert the install CD and run setup.

Not sure I understand the "it gives me an error when it starts to read the install media, and points me to a log file.." Do you have a screenshot of that?

It's been a while since I've installed Win98 from scratch. The Win98 VM I have down here has a virtual hardware of version 4, so it's a tad old, but still runs just fine of Workstation (or VMware Fusion)

edit, missed this.

As for the audio on Windows 7, my sound device is just onboard audio (RealTek ALC1220), and not USB

The Windows 7 guest only sees the virtual hardware. VMware just presents it as a usb device. It doesn't matter what device you actually have installed at host level, it is completely shielded off from the guest. Having said that, USB devices can be presented directly to the guest OS.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
Mongo424242
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is a screenshot of what is displayed when I try and install Windows 98SE (I think the disk is bootable, because it works in VirtualBox... or am I just missing something again?):

Win98_Error.jpg

And here is the .log file it mentions:

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

No I don't think that you are missing something. Especially not when it is booting on VirtualBox.

It should boot here too.

The only thing out of the ordinary that I see in your log is that you are running on a Kaby Lake CPU (i5 7500)

The initial Workstation 12.5 fixed an issue for the same virtual CPU fault on early intel Braswell processors.

You might be able to get around the issue with a CPU mask, but i'm not sure.

You could try adding the following line to the .vmx, but I quite frankly have no idea if it will help, so the below suggestion is just a stab in the dark.

cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"

If it does not help, then do remove it after trying.

Oh and editing the .vmx file is done by shutting down (not resume) the VM. Shut down Workstation and then edit in a plaint text editor such as notepad and then add the line above at the end of your Windows 98 vmx file.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I was thinking along the same lines but wasn't so sure whether it would work.

But since it has been brought up, I might as well put my two "leaves" in for the vmx tweak.

cpuid.1.ecx="0000:0010:1101:1000:0010:0010:0000:0011"

cpuid.1.edx="0000:1111:1010:1011:1111:1011:1111:1111"

It is to match this in the log

2017-07-18T19:43:48.846-06:00| vmx| I125: guest vs. host CPUID guest level 00000001,  0: 0x000906e9 0x00010800 0x02d82203 0x0fabfbff

0 Kudos
Mongo424242
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you both, gentlemen!

I tried adding the lines you suggested, but to no avail. I will continue to experiment, but Win98 is no big loss.... the BIG thing was WindowsXP, and I cannot thank you enough for that one!  Obviously, I have much to learn...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The bug you get when trying to run Win98 is fixable.
See Workstation 11 critical error with certain OSes

Mongo424242
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sir, again I thank you!  That worked perfectly.

0 Kudos