VMware Communities
roadvulture
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Errors on attempted installation of Win ME on VMWS 7.

Greetings all.

New here so, i will probably mess up a bit before i get the hang of things.

I have on a dell desktop, win xp pro, 2gbs ram, 1TB hd, SP3. I installed vmworkstation 7.0.1 into it. I have already successfully installed win 7 and vista and now would like to install WINDOWS ME to be able to utilize an old game that will only work on that operating system.

I have created an iso of win me as well as an iso of the floppy disc for it. I follow the install procedures and am using the suggested default values vm suggests.

I have f-disk' the vm partition and here is where i have my fist inquiry.

**It says that the computer must me restarted. After a few tries of hitting RESET settings (or similar) found that i am simply screwing up what i had already entered (so-to-speak).

**Then, i found "restart machine"  (in vm ware) and when going forward here, i get the error that says:..... "scanning windows registry. Windows setup requires 15728640 bytes available on your c:drive" and goes back to an "E" prompt (my drive)......

After 15 attempts, i can get no further than this. Any tutorials i have also viewed on u-tube also put me no further ahead than where i am now.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is or, what i am doing incorrectly?....THANKS for any/all assistance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
roadvulture
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I guess you simply miss one step ...

I did???

1. boot the VM from floppy image: run fdisk and create an active partition - reboot the VM

i DID do that, then, said to restart and i did that also.

2. boot the VM from floppy image and run

??..after i hit restart, i gotta screen that said start computer by cd rom, etc.
format C:

humnnn.....i ran fdisk
sys C:
reboot
3. install WinME

been trying!...grin...does it make a difference in selecting ide or scsi?

your error means that the installer thinks your C: drive is too small - that is probably because you have not formatted C: yet

i will give it another try...THANK YOU VERY MUCH for teh reply!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What disks are you using? If SCSI, can you delete the vmdk and create a IDE drive and check? Also what is the size of the disk? Can you try with a disk about 10 GB and check?

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
roadvulture
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply!

What disks are you using?

a bit new to this as i said but, not sure i follow you on this. I followed whatever instructions VM set forth. What am i missing here and to answer your question, where should i look?

If SCSI, can you delete the vmdk and create a IDE drive and check?

see above response.

Also what is the size of the disk?

the actual hard drive or this "disc" created by vm? if by vm, please direct me to where i can furnish this info please.

Can you try with a disk about 10 GB and check?

see above and also, if necessary, please direct me as to how to make the "disk" (assume you mean created by vm) larger.

0 Kudos
roadvulture
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

UPDATE;

1) I completely deleted the attempted new installation of WIN ME and this time where i selected "IDE" i selected "SCSI"...

2) When the installation asks to be restarted, i hit VM>POWER>RESTART GUEST- (is that proper)?

3) HOW do i increase the size of the space used for vm's virtual machines?...My physical hd is 1 tb but, see no place to increase size elsewhere. I suspect that with Vista and Win 7 installed, maybe i ran out or do not have enough of "virtual space"?......thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. boot the VM from floppy image: run fdisk and create an active partition - reboot the VM
format C:
sys C:
reboot
3. install WinME

your error means that the installer thinks your C: drive is too small - that is probably because you have not formatted C: yet

roadvulture
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did???

i DID do that, then, said to restart and i did that also.

??..after i hit restart, i gotta screen that said start computer by cd rom, etc.
format C:

humnnn.....i ran fdisk
sys C:
reboot
3. install WinME

been trying!...grin...does it make a difference in selecting ide or scsi?

i will give it another try...THANK YOU VERY MUCH for teh reply!

0 Kudos
roadvulture
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MORE PROBLEMS....

where ya wrote:

boot the VM from floppy image and run

format C:

**i typed in - (prompt already there) a:\>format C (enter) and i get an error "parameter format not correct- c".

**then, i type in - a:\>formatC (enter) and i get an error. "parameter format not correct- c".

**then, i type in - a:\>format: C (enter) and i get an error. "parameter format missing- c".

sys C:

reboot

0 Kudos
roadvulture
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

IT, DARN IT, WORKS!.........whaaaaaa ---- whooooooo!........MANY THANK YOUS!

Message was edited by: roadvulture Determined that additional question would actually be another thread and so deleted.

0 Kudos