VMware Communities
walid13
Contributor
Contributor

Error windows server 2016 DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION

When installing windows server 2016 VM on workstation 12 and 12.5 an error appears.

When i'm installing hyper-v role a blue screen appears: DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION just after reboot.

The hardware compatibility "worskstation 12x" does not work with hyper-v on windows server 2016.

On workstation 12.5 Hyper-v role is working with "workstation 10x" compatiblity hardware.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

If I understand correctly, you are doing nested virtualization by enabling Hyper-V on a Windows Server 2016 guest VM of a Workstation.

If hardware compatibility 10 works and 12 doesn't, one key difference is the support for DX10 that is available with hardware compatibility 12. Have you installed the 10.1.6 VMware Tools? Try disabling "Accelerate 3D graphics" in the Display of the Windows Server 2016 VM in hardware compatibility 12 to see if the BSOD goes away.

0 Kudos
arielro85
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! Im getting the same error. Will try this walkthrough and then let you knows. Please if you know any other one let me know. THanks in advantage!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

If you want to run Hyper-V in the guest OS, then make sure to set the guest OS to "Hyper-V" instead of "Windows Server 2016"

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
lgordon225
Contributor
Contributor

Your Windows computer ran into a problem that it couldn't handle, and it will restart in 5 seconds or so. DPC Watchdog Violation has appeared due to a few diffrent reasons, like old SSD driver version, unsupported SSD firmware, system files are corrupted or hardware incompatibility issues. In case If you are using solid-state drive (SSD), you should download and update the latest firmware version of it from manufacturer's website and update your SSD.

1. Go to Device Manager.
  2. Find out the type of SSD and the model number.
  3. After looking for the model number of SSD, visit to manufacturer's website, find the latest firmware version if available, then download and update for your SSD.

See this tutorial to learn more how to fix the DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION problem

0 Kudos
Criptage
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I have the same issue using 12.5.5 PRO and trying to add the role Hyper-V on a virtual machine where I installed Windows server 2012.

On reboot the system block giving me the error DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION.

The only way to try to boot again the machine is unchecking the flags:

- Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI

- Virtualize CPU performance counters

If I uncheck those flags and run the machine, it says the role has been successfuly installed, but later Virtual Machines created in Hyper-v don't start.

any help?

0 Kudos
walid13
Contributor
Contributor

When i try what you say the BSOD is still there

0 Kudos
Criptage
Contributor
Contributor

I found a solution, I had avast antivirus installed, as soon as I removed it, all is working again, can be the same issue of you?

0 Kudos
arielro85
Contributor
Contributor

Im Still having issues with this , i cant run Hyper V under vmware workstation even when applied the VMX filde mods. Any advice?

0 Kudos
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

To use HyperV, you needs do followings:

1.Edit VM settings->Hardware->Processor->Check Enable "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI"

2.Guest operating sytem: choose Version "Hyper-V"

3. Inside Win2016 server VM, add roles "Hyper-V"

Please let me know if you have done above, if so, you'd better upload your vmx file and vmware.log here.

0 Kudos
tony7254
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos