VMware Communities
rajainvmware
Contributor
Contributor

Error while installing windows 2012 server in workstation

I am trying to install Windows 2012 RC in a VMWare workstation 8 ver, but  I got an error as shown below. I really don't have any idea what this  error is all about. So please can someone tell me how to fix this?

Install Windows

The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error.  Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to  restart the computer, and then restart the installation.

Here is the configuration i used.

80GB HD, 1GB RAM i assigned. then also i am getting the same error.

Can anyone help to rectify this problem..

0 Kudos
13 Replies
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Try vmGenCounter.enable = FALSE to your .vmx file.  This fix is from jmattson posted on the WS beta forum .  Basically try the beta instead of  8.0.3.  Windows 8 RC (haven't tried Windows 2012 Server) works fine  with that addition.

Good luck

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

I added the follwing to a Windows 2012 Server VM  using WS Technical Preview.
With this I was able to not only install 2012 in a VM but install a nested Hyper-V Windows 7 VM.

hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = FALSE mce.enable = "TRUE"
vmGenCounter.enable = FALSE 

All the above from

jmattson

Enjoy

0 Kudos
rajainvmware
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks mfelker.

Finally i got the answer in jmattson post.

Here is the procedure to install windows 8 RC in VMWare Workstation 8.

Minimum Configuration i choosed.

1 GB of RAM.

80 GB Harddisk,

Operating system i have selected Microsoft windows, in that windows 7 64-bit.

Now its working fine..

0 Kudos
daveh201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the key appears to be using the Windows 7 64-bit setting. I tried using the Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 and the install looked great up until the point the VMware Tools started installing. When it installed its video driver the screen started flashing between black and blue, perpetually. No way to recover.

Looks fine now using the WIndows 7 64-bit VM install setting. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Soko
Contributor
Contributor

I installed WS2012 RC using the "Windows Server 2008 x64" setting - I got the blinking screen when I installed VMware tools too. My fix was to increase teh RAM to 2GB instead of the defalut 1GB. Working fine, now. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Were you  able to install the VMware  Tools video drivers on Windows 2012 server using the Windows 7 x64 OS  selection?. Many have experienced  video problems you report and use a custom install of VMware omitting the Tools video drivers.  I myself solved the black screen event  using this workaround

The 2 GB memory setting works great for  me also with the 2012 Server and  Windows 8.

0 Kudos
Scorpion99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

can u provide us the link of the installation file????

Btw you can download a ready vhd file from microsoft and convert it to vmdk file and run it in VMware.

0 Kudos
rajainvmware
Contributor
Contributor

This is the link that i had downloaded .ISO file

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/hh670538.aspx?ocid=&wt.mc_id=TEC_108_1_33

Here microsoft provides two options to download, if you want VHD file, you can download from above link and install wherever you want.

0 Kudos
Scorpion99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes , it is the same link that i have downloaded and works well on my machine.

I suggest you to create a new profile on your host machine and try to run VMware from there and install Windows 2012.

Btw in case you download the VHD file , you can easily convert it to VMDK and run it .

Use this one to convert :

http://www.sertec.ca/howtos/Howto-Convert-VHD-to-VMDK-Partition-types.html

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

This is certenaly  posoible (and I might even try it sometime).  Howe why don't you first download the Windows 2012 Server RC from MS and try to install it from the patch to teh .vmx file (

vmGenCounter.enable = "FALSE"

There are tow other .vmx entries but I don't know if they directly apply to teh viideo problem.  Other peop[le than me have reported that this works perfectly for the install.  Another thing is I would disable 3-d aacceleration to begin with.

0 Kudos
Chr1sG
Contributor
Contributor

I also had problems right after installation of Windows 2012. I thought it would be handy to gather all solutions and put them into 1 post:

http://www.itexperience.net/2012/06/14/fixing-blueblack-blinking-windows-2012-in-vmware-workstation/

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Actually I (or perhaps somebody) suggested to uncheck and disable 3-D acceleration.  The default is to enable it.

But perhaps more imporant the site you reference has a script from  a site called chango.com rated as extremldy poor for security and  privacy and even a red warning  which I never saw from Noscript.  There is also a site called pro-markting which has a very  poor rep as well. You may want to check this out.  Then again WOT (and other Website checkers) could be giving a false positive although this is pretty  unlikely.

0 Kudos
yoncadena
Contributor
Contributor

The solution is:

1)      On the same error screen press SHIFT+F10 and it will open up a black Window. (a command prompt window)

2)       In  the black windows type the word "regedit"(without the inverted commas and hit enter. That will open the registry editor.

In the Registry Editor..

Browse to....

HKLocal machine/SYSTEM/SETUP/STATUS/ChildCompletion, and after highliting childcompletion,on the right hand side check for setup.exe. if the value is 1 change it to 3.(by double clicking on setup.exe and changing the value shown in the box).

Then close the registry editor and then also close the black window.

Then click on OK for the error and the computer will restart and the installation may complete.  just try it and let me know if it worked.

0 Kudos