VMware Communities
jpsingh
Contributor
Contributor

Error while installing FEDORA16 / FEDORA 17 Desktop edition via VMware workstation: 7.1.6-744570

Hello everyone, I am facing a problem in my Lenovo Laptop (Core i5 3rd Gen processor 3230M, OS: Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit). When i try to install Fedora 17 with both VMware Player and workstation, every time i am getting this error " The CPU has been disable by the guest operating system. You will need to power off or reset the virtual machine at this point". Please help on urgent basis to get rid of this problem.

fedora.jpg

Regards

JP Singh

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Which exact version of VMware Workstation do you use? Did you already try to upgrade to the latest available patch for the version you use?

André

Message was edited by: a.p.: Sorry I missed the title. Some days ago a similar issue was solved by installing the latest build of VMware Workstation 8

0 Kudos
jpsingh
Contributor
Contributor

i am using Vmware workstation version 7.1.6 build-744570. I have not installed the latest version of workstation but i have tried installing latest version VMware player available on the website.

0 Kudos
jpsingh
Contributor
Contributor

i have read the old posts here, many people have mentioned disable the SpeedStep Technology is the only solution ??

0 Kudos
lancej
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone found a solution?

I am having the same problem with other modern Linux distros, both with moving VMs and creating new VMs. I have tried the following and every one has failed with a "CPU has been disabled" message.

Move a working Xubuntu 12.04/32 from an XP-Pro host to Win7-Pro/64.

Move a working Xubuntu 12.04/32 from an Win7-Premium/64 to Win7-Pro/64.

Move a working Centos6.4/32 from an Win7-Premium/64 to Win7-Pro/64.

Create a new Xubuntu 12.04./32 VM using install ISO on Win7-Pro/64 host.

Create a new Centos 6.4/32 VM using install ISO on Win7-Pro/64 host.

Create a new VM and boot Centos6.4/32 live CD (ISO) on Win7-Pro/64 host.

When I tried

Create a new VM and boot Fedora19/32 live CD (ISO) on Win7-Pro/64 host

it kernel panic'ed while still in text mode. Along the trace back were the routines "identify_cpu" and "identify_boot_cpu."

I was able to do the following:

Move a working Ubuntu 10.04/32 from an XP-Pro host to Win7-Pro/64.

Move a working Win2000-Pro  from an XP-Pro host to Win7-Pro/64.

Create a new VM and boot Fedora13/32 live CD (ISO) on Win7-Pro/64 host.

Create a new VM and boot Fedora15/32 live CD (ISO) on Win7-Pro/64 host.

I am using VMware Workstation 6.5.

The XP machine is a core2-duo laptop.

The Win7-Premium/64 machine is i7-2620Q laptop.

The Win7-Pro/64 PC is Dell Precision M6700 with an i7-3540M CPU.

On the M6700, initially VT, VT for direct I/O, SpeedStep and Execution Disable were all enabled in the BIOS. I tried disabling SpeedStep and Execution Disable and still got the problem.

0 Kudos
lancej
Contributor
Contributor

I found a "solution" that may not be for everyone, but worked for me. I got VMware Workstation 10 and my old machines and new machines all worked.

0 Kudos
MarVista
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you check from your hardware BIOS that VT option is enabled or not if not enabled then enabled it and try it again.

Yours,
Mar Vista

0 Kudos
lancej
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I checked VT in the BIOS and it was enabled. As I said in my post "... initially VT, VT for direct I/O, SpeedStep and Execution Disable were all enabled in the BIOS"

I tried changing the SpeedStep and Execution Disable, but none of that worked. I didn't try disabling VT, but I don't imagine it would have helped.

0 Kudos