VMware Communities
xioc1138
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error when using the VMWare Command line.

VMware Version: 7.1.0 build-261024

Windows 7

I'm trying to use the command line to launch a virtual machine using the instructions found on vmware's website.

This is what the command line string should be:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware.exe -x C:\Users\xioc1138\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows 7 x64\Windows 7 x64.vmx"

However, when I try to create that short cut, I get the following error:

The file cannot be found.

So I tested each segment of the string from the "run" box in Windows to see if they work.

Run the first half, VMware opens. Run the second half VMware opens to the specific machine that I'm trying to open.

Combine them: fail.

When I try to run the entire string in the run box itself I get several interesting error messages:

VMware Workstation:

Could not open virtual machine: c:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64.vmx.

Cannot open file "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64.vmx": The system cannot find the file specified.

And in a second error box:

VMware Workstation:

'7' is not a virtual machine configuration file (vmx).

Note that "VMware Workstation" denotes the name of the window opening.

Any thoughts on what I might need to do to correct this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the forums.

It is most likely the space in the path and/or filename (C:\Users\xioc1138\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows 7 x64\Windows 7 x64.vmx") that is causing the problem. To fix it you can try renaming the paths and filenames, using short filenames (C:\Users\xioc1138\Docume1\Virtua1\Window1\Window1.vmx") or try wrapping your path information in quoatation marks. Sometimes it can also be easier just to create a vbs or bat file to launch the shortcut.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the forums.

It is most likely the space in the path and/or filename (C:\Users\xioc1138\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows 7 x64\Windows 7 x64.vmx") that is causing the problem. To fix it you can try renaming the paths and filenames, using short filenames (C:\Users\xioc1138\Docume1\Virtua1\Window1\Window1.vmx") or try wrapping your path information in quoatation marks. Sometimes it can also be easier just to create a vbs or bat file to launch the shortcut.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

your cmd is invalid - try

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware.exe" -x "C:\Users\xioc1138\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows 7 x64\Windows 7 x64.vmx" 

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

You also find me in the support crew of PHD Virtual Backup

xioc1138
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using short names did it. Thank you.

*Edit*

Revamping the cmd worked as well. Thank you again!

0 Kudos