VMware Communities
dme1
Contributor
Contributor

Error when provisioning a VM on Workstation 8

Hi,

I have installed VMWare Workstation 8 on my laptop. I am using Studio v2.5 to build a VM (which contains just the Ubuntu OS). When Studio is trying to provision the VM on the host (Workstation 8 on my laptop) it gives an error -

14/02/2012 15:44:36 [warn] vmrun: Unable to connect to host.
Error: The operation is not supported for the specified parameters
I have tried chaging various parameters for the VM in Studtio (like Hardware version 4 and 7, different output formats etc.) but always get the same erro.
I have confirmed that Studio is able to connecto to the host and can ssh files over. The VM (files) is transported over but fails when provisioning (starting) the VM on workstation. I have copied the relevant message from the log file below
14/02/2012 15:44:23 [dbug] ssh host: <10.0.0.5>, login: <UserId>, timeout: <120>
14/02/2012 15:44:23 [dbug] ssh cmd: <chmod -R 777 "/cygdrive/C/temp/10.0.0.8_Ubuntu2.4/">
14/02/2012 15:44:29 [dbug] SSH cmd executed without password.
14/02/2012 15:44:29 [dbug]
14/02/2012 15:44:29 [dbug] ssh host: <10.0.0.5>, login: <UserId>, timeout: <120>
14/02/2012 15:44:29 [dbug] ssh cmd: <\"/cygdrive/C/temp/10.0.0.8_Ubuntu2.4/vmrunCtrl.bat\" start>
14/02/2012 15:44:36 [dbug] SSH cmd executed without password.
14/02/2012 15:44:36 [warn] vmrun: Unable to connect to host.
Error: The operation is not supported for the specified parameters
How can I find out what is causing this error?
Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

can you start the VM manually ?

taken from the release notes:

Supported Platforms

Virtual appliances created by VMware Studio 2.5.0.0 can be deployed on the following supported platform products:

• VMware vCenter Server 4.0 and 4.1
  • VMware VirtualCenter 2.5
  • VMware ESX/ESXi 4.0 and 4.1
  • VMware ESX/ESXi 3.5
  • VMware Workstation 6.5, 7.0, and 7.1
  • VMware Player 2.5, 3.0, and 3.1
  • VMware Cloud Director 1.0
  • VMware Server 2.0 (deprecated)

Workstation 8 is not listed

0 Kudos
dme1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for teh reply.

Studio cleans up the VM files on a failure. However I captured whatever I could as the build was going through and the VM mostly starts when running manaully (there were missing config files due to which it could not start clean, but I guess thats because of when I captured the files).

So I decided to try with another VM (not the one I am building using Studio). This other VM is also a Ubuntu OS only VM. I can start the VM from Workstation (Open Workstation from Windows taskbar and launch the VM).

I can also start the VM correctly from command line using vmrun ("FullPath/vmrun.exe start FullPath/VMName.vmx").

I also am able to run the VM successfully from cygwin using teh vmrun command directly ("FullPath/vmrun.exe start FullPath/VMName.vmx" - changing for cygdrive where appropriate)

However when I use ssh (from the cygwin terminal) to launch the VM using the vmrun command it fails (ssh user@server "FullPath/vmrun.exe start FullPath/VMName.vmx") I get the same error (Unable to connect to Host; Error: The operation is not supported for the specified parameters).

From the cygwin terminal I can run all other commands properly (E.g. from cyswin if I run-  ssh user@server "FullPath/vmrun.exe" - this gives me the usage for vmrun).

Would appreciate if you can advise why vmrun does not start the VM via ssh.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

just to rule out cygwin issues - what if you use putty ?

0 Kudos
dme1
Contributor
Contributor

I get the same error from Putty as well

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I just downloaded Studio 2.5 and wanted to test the same myself.
So far all deployments to ESXi 5 failed.

Need to install cygwin next - but that may take some time

0 Kudos
dme1
Contributor
Contributor

Would appreciate any help you can provide with this. I have tried to find a solution for a couple of days without luck.

If there is any other place you think I can look for additional clues, please let me know.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

next thing you could test is install a new VM and install Workstation 7.1 inside it - maybe it is really related to your version 8

0 Kudos
dme1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I will get the necessary setup done and deploy the VM on Workstation 7.

0 Kudos
dme1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

After some effort I was able to get Workstation 7 provisioned within a VM running within Workstation 8. However, since I have the Workstation on my laptop which has VT diabled, I could not run Workstation 7.

I was able to finally complete a build and deploy it to an external ESXi host.

So the issue is either Workstation 8 or SSH, I will need to replace Workstation 8 with 7, which I will try after some time.

Thanks for your help so far, if you are able to test with Cygwin let me know of the results

I have one more question though. Why would the VM fail provisioning from SSH, but would work when provisioned directly from the Workstation (ateleast I was able to get further when provisioning directly from Workstation).

Thanks,

0 Kudos