VMware Communities
PalZer0
Contributor
Contributor

Error when loading Windows 8 Release Preview VM

I created a VM for the Windows 8 Release Preview both in VMware Workstation and the bundled VMware Player but I keep getting an error when trying to launch it.

The error quoted here is what I get when trying to launch the VM through VMware Player. The error is the same in VMware Workstation but it says to try and reinstall VMware Workstation.

[quote]Could not get vmx86 driver version: The handle is invalid.

You have an incorrect version of driver "vmx86.sys". Try reinstalling VMware Player.

Failed to initialize monitor device.[/quote]

I click OK and then get another error.

[quote]Error while powering on: Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to.[/quote]

Anyone know what's going on here?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I've gotten this error in the past with different versions and diferent physical machines and the way I resolved it was to uninstall/reinstall the VMware Product.  (Note: Not a Repair Install but actually completely uninstalling then reinstalling! Smiley Wink)

Have you tried that?

0 Kudos
PalZer0
Contributor
Contributor

When I do go for an uninstall, are there any leftovers that need to be deleted?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

As far as resolving this I always just did the uninstall, rebooted and the reinstalled, rebooted and it would work.  There may have been a time depending on what version I had to uninstall twice and the third install was the charm.  So in this case I'd just do the uninstall and reboot then install and reboot and see if that doesn't fix it.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

"You have an incorrect version of driver "vmx86.sys". Try reinstalling VMware Player."

This is the hardest error to fix in my experiecne

Try to completely remvoe (don't use the VMware installer) using an standalone unistaller program.  I happento use Revouninstaller but there are many other very good ones out there.  You should tdry to  get rid of the 150+  registry values and keys that are left over after the message that VMware /player/Ws is "successfuly uninstalled "  In other words try to constructd  an envorinment as if the product had never been installed in the fidrst place.  This still may not solve your problem.  maybe serarch the registry specifically for teh file??  I haven't  done this however (haven't needed to)  I would try to Google the above error and perhaps somebody has a fix.

Good luck!

0 Kudos