VMware Communities
rjadams84
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error restoring snapshot: The file name is too long

I moved my VM Files to a new laptop and when I try to open one of my previously saved snapshots, I get an error saying: "Error restoring snapshot: The file name is too long." I have 4 saved snapshots and they all worked on my previous laptop just fine. Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rjadams84
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I figured it out. I had the actual VM files nested under three root folders. I cut and paste the files so it would only be nested under one root folder, re-launched my VM, saying I moved it when opening and now I can use my snapshots. Thanks for helping me brain storm to figure it out!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

please provide some details, like the VM's file names, and the path where the VM is stored.

André

Moderator note: Discussion moved to  VMware Workstation Pro Discussions

0 Kudos
rjadams84
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The VM files are stored on my desktop. The root folder is named "SALES - Eagle Recorder VM April 2019_Updated". Are there other file names you are looking for?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try to move the VM to the same path you used before.

It would help if you show the actual filename ! - maybe it really is too long ?

0 Kudos
rjadams84
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I figured it out. I had the actual VM files nested under three root folders. I cut and paste the files so it would only be nested under one root folder, re-launched my VM, saying I moved it when opening and now I can use my snapshots. Thanks for helping me brain storm to figure it out!

0 Kudos