VMware Communities
inquisitor
Contributor
Contributor

Error restoring snapshot: Insufficient permission

This is driving me nuts......just when I think I have everything working smoothly and I'm ready to start doing some serious work.....bam...more errors.

Error restoring snapshot: Insufficient permissions.

I can't restore any snapshots becasue of this error. I am using XP SP2 with NTFS and the snapshot folder has full access permissions for all users.

I searched the forum about the readonly folders bug and tried using the command: attrib -r -s /S /D \*.*

still no luck, what the heck is going on here \!!!

I have even tried setting the snapshot folder to a FAT32 drive and still get this permissions error.

Which of the files out this lot do not have the correct permissions:

*.vmem

*.vmdk

*.vmsm

*.vmx

there are so many files for 1 VM I just don't know where to start.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
telfred
Expert
Expert

Which version of VM Workstation are you using ?

Which user is logged onto the host ?

Does this only happen for one VM guest or all of them ?

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Open a command prompt window and type "cacls "

Post the output

0 Kudos
inquisitor
Contributor
Contributor

I am using the evaluation workstation 5.5.2 build 29772

I use an Administrator account to run workstation and the host/guest

like I said I have even moved the Snapshot folder to a Fat32 drive so permissions should not be an issue.

Should all the files for each VM be within the same folder ??? At the moment I use the following folder structure:

1. vmx file for vm in C:\VM

2. vmdk file for vm in C:\VM\MSDOS

3. snapshots for vm in C:\VM\MSDOS\SNAPSHOTS

so far I have only tried snapshots with MSDOS 6.2, I will check tonight what results I get with Windows 2000. Maybe this is just an MSDOS issue.

0 Kudos
inquisitor
Contributor
Contributor

update:

the problem exists with windows 2000 snapshots too.

I have not got a clue why permissions should be a problem as I am using an admin account which has full permissions for all files/folders on the system.

looks like I am going to have to move all my VM's to a Fat32 drive Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
inquisitor
Contributor
Contributor

fixed:

Ok I got this working now, it was the actual folder containing my virtual machine vmx files, the default folder with the vmware icon. I used attrib -r and that seems to have fixed it.

This is strange though, because the drive and folder that actually contain the vmdk and snapshots does not have the read only attribute set.

why is the vmware file structuring and naming a real pain in the ass. It would be so much easier to just have 1 file for the VM configuration (.vmx) and 1 file for the VM disk image or snapshots (.vmdk).

maybe I'm just nit-picking again Smiley Happy but then again it has taken me the best part of a week to just get the basics of vmware working now.

0 Kudos
DNAMAN
Contributor
Contributor

1) close VMWare Software.

2) goto rum "CMD".

3) attrib "the Virtual Host Directory fullpath" -R -S

4) reopen VMWare Software.

5) Enjoy!

0 Kudos
dan_stevens
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue. I tried the Microsoft fix which didn't seem to work.

then...

I rebooted my host machine.

Created a new folder and copied the contents of the VM into it (after shutting it down)

Renamed the folder so it looked like the original.

I was able to go back to my snapshot.

hope this helps

Dan

0 Kudos
defekt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've just run into this problem today and found this (and some other archived threads) about the attribute problem.

The difference is I'm running on a Vista x86 host with Workstation 6 and this BUG is still here!

To me it seems that workstation is checking the directory attribute before trying to restore the snapshot and this is incorrect. It should just try and write and report a failure if unable to.

I'm very surprised this bug is still not addressed even in WS6!

0 Kudos