VMware Communities
Lil
Contributor
Contributor

Error restoring snapshot : Failed to lock the file

This message happens when trying to rollback my lattest changes on a VM a going back to the last (and only) snapshot.

Any idea ?

(may be linked with my other question at http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=85187&tstart=0)

0 Kudos
10 Replies
NO_FEAR
Contributor
Contributor

I have had similar problems too with both Workstation 5 and 6. From my experiences there are usually either one of two causes. The first and most common is that another program is using you virtual machine files. To check if this is so look for a program called ‘unlocker’ http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker. The second cause may be bad hard drive sectors, usually a chkdsk (start->run type in chkdsk) sweep will fix that quite easily.

0 Kudos
NO_FEAR
Contributor
Contributor

I have had similar problems too with both Workstation 5 and 6. From my experiences there are usually either one of two causes. The first and most common is that another program is using you virtual machine files. To check if this is so look for a program called ‘unlocker’ http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker. Don’t unlock files pertaining to VMware (vmnat.exe, vmnetdhcp.exe, vmount2.exe, vmware-authd.exe, vmware-tray.exe)! The second cause may be bad hard drive sectors; usually a chkdsk (start->run type in chkdsk) sweep will fix that quite easily.

0 Kudos
Lil
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thank you for your infos ... but it didn't help Smiley Wink

A full scandisk was performed.

A tool named OpenFilesView (www.nirsoft.net) was used to see that no files were locked in my VM dir.

Maybe another idea ?

0 Kudos
NO_FEAR
Contributor
Contributor

I hate to say this but, I am out of ideas. The most I could suggest is that you look for corruption in your VM’s .vmxf, .vmsd and .vmx files. Other than that if no other solution can be found I would suggest importing the VM (under file->import).

0 Kudos
Lil
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again for your support.

How do I find out if any .vm* file is corrupted ?

I don't understand how the import menu can be usefull ... do you mean that I may import a snapshot as a new VM or something like that ?

0 Kudos
Lil
Contributor
Contributor

How did I solve this issue ?

Well I'm ashamed to say that I am back in VMWare Workstation 5.

The VM version was reverted from 6 to 5, and then I was able to go back to my previous snapshot.

I don't know when I'll be able to upgrade now ...

0 Kudos
Sapperlot
Contributor
Contributor

Lil, thanks for your advice

I had the same Problem ("error taking snapshot" "Failed to lock the file"

). I could not change to any other snapshot.

The only way to fix it was to go back[/b] from VMWare Workstation 6.0 to 5.5[/b].

0 Kudos
Kveldus
Contributor
Contributor

I have had the same problem. It has disappeared after I had deleted all *.lck files in the folder with vmware image.

0 Kudos
crm10
Contributor
Contributor

I had this same problem in Workstation version 6 after I created a clone of the VM from a snapshot. Removing all .lck files and folders from the VM directory solved this for me without reverting to 5.5 or earlier.

0 Kudos
Kveldus
Contributor
Contributor

the same scenario!

0 Kudos