VMware Communities
taylorwl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error opening image: "This is a Workstation ACE Edition virtual machine. Please open it in VMware Player."

I have a Virtual Machine that:

1. Was created under Workstation 6, worked fine for months, and left in suspended state

2. Upgraded to Workstation 7 and the image was loaded into 7

3. I never used the image in 7, decided to go back to 6 when I found that upgrade required payment

4. Uninstalled V7, reinstalled V6 and now I cannot run the image. I get the error: "This is a Workstation ACE Edition virtual machine. Please open it in VMware Player."

I followed the instructions in the post:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/933523#933523

However, this did not solve the problem. I get the same error still.

My host OS is Windows XP

Image is Linux Suse 10 and contains data that took me weeks to prepare...

I have never had ACE installed so I'm not sure how this got ACE enabled (I got this machine from a co-worker who left, and checked his licenses and he did not have a license for ACE - could be he dowloaded a trial, but I never used it and don't know if it existed before.)

I tried to install ACE trial but it seemed like a huge amount of work to just get my image running again...

It is possible that the version of 6 I re-installed (6.0.4) is older than what was on this box before I started this mess?

Could that cause this ACE error?

Does anyone know how I can get this thing back to a working state?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try Workstation 6.5, which is a free upgrade from Workstation 6.0.4. At some point you upgraded the virtual hardware of the VM. The Workstation 7.0 virtual hardware is compatible with Workstation 6.5, but it's incompatible with Workstation 6.0.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try Workstation 6.5, which is a free upgrade from Workstation 6.0.4. At some point you upgraded the virtual hardware of the VM. The Workstation 7.0 virtual hardware is compatible with Workstation 6.5, but it's incompatible with Workstation 6.0.

0 Kudos
taylorwl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the very QUICK and accurate answer Jameslin...This worked perfectly!

0 Kudos