VMware Communities
Idiot60
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error message: .vmx is not a valid virtual machine configuration file

Unfortunately when installing a program for testing my hard drive ran out of space and decided it was time to stop.

When I attempted to start one of the VM's up again the message ".vmx is not a valid virtual machine configuration file" was displayed.

Upon investigation the .vmx file for the virtual machine is completely empty.

Sorry if this is a duplicate question. I've seen it pop-up a couple of times in the past (here, here, here and here, although I suspect there are many more out there, also sorry as I'm not sure about hyper-link etiquette (too much vs. too little information?)). The general answer is that the log files need to be attached for someone to have a look at them.

I've attached the files just in case this is required but I also tried to figure out how to do it myself (so I didn't waste anyone's time).

There were several articles (here, here, here, here and I started even wondering about this one).

However I'm not familiar with linux/unix command line work (SUDO still puts me on edge). I'm not sure why I'd need something like PuTTY for a windows application?

The other solutions suggested using the Add > New > Custom functionality to navigate to the .vmdk file and rebuild it from there.

Sadly the option or area to select the existing .vmdk eluded me. Suggestions? Is there a large blind spot in my vision?

Thanks for the help.

Running version 9.0.3 build-1410761 on a Windows 7 64bit system.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The attached "VMRobUK2.vmx.zip" file contains a new "VMRobUK2.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Workstation (or the target VM's tab) closed, unzip (double-click) the downloaded attached "VMRobUK2.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "VMRobUK2.vmx" file with the one here.

BTW...  I hope you have a good reason for running with so many Snapshots (17 currently) and are keeping proper backups! Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The attached "VMRobUK2.vmx.zip" file contains a new "VMRobUK2.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Workstation (or the target VM's tab) closed, unzip (double-click) the downloaded attached "VMRobUK2.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "VMRobUK2.vmx" file with the one here.

BTW...  I hope you have a good reason for running with so many Snapshots (17 currently) and are keeping proper backups! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Idiot60
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks WoodyZ.

Worked like a charm.

Any suggestions about how to fix it myself in the future?

17 snapshots? On that VM there are 33 snapshots, although there are 17 other separate virtual machines. Sadly this due to a combination of factors - supporting multiple old versions, multiple countries, long slow upgrade/installation times (between 1 hour up to 2 days), snapshots of bugs for DEV to track (often with a significant time delay) and combinations between OS, Server/Workstation and software version causing problems. Although suggestions to clean them up/manage them are welcomed.

0 Kudos