VMware Communities
setnour6
Contributor
Contributor

Error message "A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter the shutdown state" appears

Note: I chose VMware code because this is the closest board I can get that describes VMware issues, at least for me and how I see it.

This issue occurs every time I try to initialize Ubuntu 64 bit for installation. This is being done on a new MSI computer with Nvidia RTX 30xx graphics cards and Intel core i7 12th generation.
I recently installed VMware too.

VMWare version: 16.0.0, for education purposes from a post-secondary education institute.
Other programs: Norton Antivirus
Significant Settings: Memory Integrity disabled.

This doesn't happen with any other computer, and all computers have version 16.0.0 of VMWare installed, under Windows 11, with the latest OS updates.

setnour6_0-1675391850903.png

The last thing I did was choose the "Try and Install Ubuntu" option.

Extras that may or may not also contribute to this problem but posting it here anyways:

setnour6_0-1675392343032.png

setnour6_1-1675392359253.png

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have reported your post to the moderators, asking them to move it to the area for Workstation Pro.

The {code} area is for SDK/API matters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

I'd start by either update Workstation to the latest version of 16 for free (16.2.5 as of current date), or upgrade to Workstation 17.  Both of which would have better support for Win 11.

0 Kudos
setnour6
Contributor
Contributor

Across the computers that I use for VMWare, none of them have been updated to the latest version of VMWare, and have resided on version 16.0.0.
When I tried to update VMWare for one of the working computers, the entire program froze for almost an hour, and I had no choice but to cancel the update operation.
I will try the update process again.

0 Kudos