VMware Communities
bigdave146
Contributor
Contributor

Error importing Ghost 14.0 image into Workstation 6.5.1-126130

Hello

I am trying to import an image created with Norton Ghost 14.0 created from an independant recovery point. My PC has 2 partitions, C and D. Ghost successfully creates the .v2i files for each drive and the .sv2i file for the PC. I have tried converting the files to VMDK images with Ghost and then attaching them to a new VM and it doesnt boot, it just loops at the BIOS screen. I have tried importing the .sv2i file into Workstation and it gives me an error saying "Warning: Cannot configure the source image". I can still carry on the import at this point and complete it. When I try to boot the VM it loops at the same BIOS point. The PC i am converting runs Vista 32 bit SP1 Anyone got any ideas ?

Dave

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Create new VM - boot into Ghost14 CD and restore your image as usual on real metal.

Step 2 : use Converter to reconfigure the newly created VM - point to the vmx-file

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
joe1600
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hiii dave

http://www.vmware.com/download/converter/ Download vcneter converter standalone product ,convert your ghost image to vmware wks,server or infrastarucure configuration and use it

IF U FOUND THE ABOVE ANSWER USEFUL,PLEASE MARK IT AS HELPFUL AND OR CORRECT .

regards

joe

Joe Joseph,Thanks in Advance If you find my reply useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.
0 Kudos
hussainis
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Joe for the pointer on vCenter converter for Ghost images.  It converting my symantec live state images now into .vmdk

0 Kudos