VMware Communities
GGBJR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error code 4 when a guest system attempts to access a USB flash drive

I have recently installed Windows XP in a guest operating system, using Workstation 6.5.5, but I am not able to attach a USB device from the host system (Windows 8- 64-bit).   I have another desktop with a Vista 64-bit host and a 32-bit Vista guest system where this has never presented a problem.  There must be a setting that I cannot find that would enable this simple task of detaching a flash drive from the host and connecting it to the guest. Under Settings, I have enabled to recognize all USB devices.

Gordon

Houston, Texas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the Host system is USB 3.0 then as a workaround you may need to buffer the USB Device between the Host and it with a USB 2.0 Hub and then the Windows Guest OSes prior to Windows 8 should be able to access the device.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the Host system is USB 3.0 then as a workaround you may need to buffer the USB Device between the Host and it with a USB 2.0 Hub and then the Windows Guest OSes prior to Windows 8 should be able to access the device.

0 Kudos
GGBJR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sir Woody (with a Z) --

You are right on the money.  My laptop, I learned from viewing the specs online, has two USB 3.0 slots and one USB 2.0.  I have been using the USB 2.0 by default (for a wireless mouse), and this was the first time that I plugged a flash drive into the 3.0.  The mouse works from the 3.0, enabling me to use the 2.0 for a flash drive.

My problem now is getting the guest system (XP) to connect to the Internet.  The task bar shows that it is connected (I am using the NAT setting, as I have done on my other desktop), but there is no connection.  I don't quite understand why the status shows connected, but yet I am unable to connect when I use IE.  I notice that the Send/Receive statistics are very low when contrasted to the same guest stats on my desktop, whiere the guest system funtions normally.

Always something!  But, thanks for your help.

Gordon

0 Kudos