VMware Communities
Jaimi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Error: Virtual machine appears to be in use

This morning when I went to open my virtual machine (WS6.0), I got the following error:

Could not open virtual machine: C:\VM\Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition.vmx. This virtual machine appears to be in use.

I booted just this morning, so nothing else can be using it - I also verified that it wasn't running in the task manager. Is there anything I can do to get this back up?

0 Kudos
27 Replies
gkc2008
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hello,

I have the same issue. I have a vm called vm-harp and two sub folders called vm-harp.vmsd.lck and VM-HARP.vmx.lck. If I rename both of these folders then i get an error message saying that the configuration is not valid. if i leave the vm-harp.vmsd.lck folder I get the "Virtual Machine appears to be in use" message.

any ideas to get around this issue? This was a valid working machine.

thanks

0 Kudos
didierniel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you.

My host OS froze and when I rebooted, I could launch my VM. Now I can with your help.

Didier NIEL

0 Kudos
BMIVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I was getting this same message with all my VM's in WS 6.0. This happened after both my guest and host crashed. I have a Vista X64 host. Renaming/deleting the .lck folders under every VM fixed this issue. Some VM's had more than one .lck folder. I don't knwo why??...Thanks for this post!!! I thought I needed to recreate all my VMs.

0 Kudos
Avihs06
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you RDPETRUSKA , it worked Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
d34m0n1x
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, it works Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
d34m0n1x
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos
pbraren
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Coming up on 9 years now, and this issue is apparently still happening regularly, even on the very latest Workstation 12.1.1.

Sure had hoped a smoother fix would become a feature of Workstation.

TinkerTry.com
0 Kudos
BugMaker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

error codes

Vmware Error appears to be in use Sample.PNG

0 Kudos