VMware Communities
GBartsch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Error Installing Workstation 12.5 Pro

During an upgrade of Workstation 12.5.3 to 12.5.5, I'm seeing an error: " service 'vmware authorization service' (vmauthdservice) could not be installed "

You are then asked if you want to cancel, retry, or ignore the issue.

If you cancel, then workstation is reverted to 12.5.3 (in this case).

Running the installer as Administrator doesn't make any difference.

Anyone have any thoughts?

A/V is turned off (Bitdefender); system is Windows 10 Pro x64

GB

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wangeryan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can try the following steps:

1) Remove the Workstation 12.5.3

2) Then check that if vmx86.sys exists in folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers, if exists, delete it

3) Delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vmx86 if exists.

4) Open cmd and run "sc delete vmx86"

5) Reboot your host

6) Install Workstation12.5.5

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
wangeryan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can try the following steps:

1) Remove the Workstation 12.5.3

2) Then check that if vmx86.sys exists in folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers, if exists, delete it

3) Delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vmx86 if exists.

4) Open cmd and run "sc delete vmx86"

5) Reboot your host

6) Install Workstation12.5.5

0 Kudos
RJB3ST
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Looking online some people who had this error fixed it by disabling the VM role on their computer, although that said I believe step 2 is more likely to fix the issue than step 1, so try that first!

1. Go to Programs and Features, "Turn Windows Features On/Off" and remove VM Role. Restart and test.

2. Restart computer -> go to BIOS -> disable virtualization -> install Vmvare -> Restart the computer -> go to BIOS again -> Enable Virtualization

Kind Regards,

RJ

0 Kudos
WilliamR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've been seeing this exact same problem for many versions, and frankly it has wasted a heap of my time.

I have watched the installation process carefully, and the install is almost complete when the error pops up.  If you look at the Local Services at that time you will find that the service " VMware Authorization Service is sitting there with "<Failed to Read Description.  Error Code: 2>".  In this state you can't manually stop or do anything with the service.

When you respond to the original error dialog, the installer commences a roll-back and terminates.  Unfortunately the so-called "roll-back" leaves you with an uninstalled VMware Workstation.

Invariably, if you then reboot your machine, and initiate a fresh installation* attempt, that installation will succeed.  Presumably the reason it succeeds is that the offending VMware Authorization Service is no longer present in the system after the reboot.

Obviously it is common for software upgrades to require a reboot to complete, and indeed VMware Workstation does request a restart after installation.  What is weird is that VMware installer seems to fail during install, then requires a reboot for installation to start again, and followed by yet another restart.  I think it's time VMware fixed this issue, by completing the installation during the first restart.

I surmise that the above situation is not universal because I suppose there would be a lot more complaints about it.  But nonetheless, it is clearly happening out there and I haven't seen any description of machine specific configurations where this does occur.  In my case I am referring to a Windows 8.1 machine, with an Administrative user credential, using Workstation Pro 11.x and these days 12.5.x.

I'd welcome any other insights on this annoying problem.

thanks, Bill

* If you had allowed VMware Workstation to fully initiate the update installation (i.e. download and install), then you are faced with going to VMware website to fully download the EXE file again so that you can carry out a "fresh" install from scratch.

0 Kudos
GBartsch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So,

The solution ended up being the removal you Workstation.

I actually used the VMware Cleaner Tool that removed all things VMware from OS.

So this hosed Workstation, and, in the end, I simply had to delete the directory under C:\Program Files (x86)\

I did this:

- Ran the cleaner tool (which could be an issue if you have other VMware products installed)

- Deleted the Workstation directory

- Rebooted

- Re-installed the product

Interestingly, somehow Workstation still had its settings during the reinstall.

0 Kudos
EmilioS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

only this works:

Restart computer -> go to BIOS -> disable virtualization -> install Vmvare -> Restart the computer -> go to BIOS again -> Enable Virtualization

0 Kudos
ezor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is still an issue when upgrading VM Workstation 16 on Windows 10/11 x64. What works is:

-Open an elevated cmd prompt

-issue:

"sc delete vmauthdservice"

ezor_0-1647542089494.png

You can then click "retry" on the installer, or run the installer again.

sas2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have had this problem for 4-5 days, I made an account just to reply to your comment, THANK YOU. This worked for me. They should pay you some money! I've been googling this for hours and your solution fixed it. I hope good things come to you!!

0 Kudos