VMware Communities
lemur
Contributor
Contributor

Entering a serial number on the command line

I have installed VMware Workstation 6.0.4 build-93057 on my linux server (Red Hat

Enterprise Linux AS release 4), but I'm having trouble getting my serial number into VMware.

I have only ssh access to the server (it lives in a server room very far away), so I need to do

this on the command line.

I scoured the web and VMware.com, but can't find any way of giving my serial number to

vmware on the command line. I read that VMware Server let's you specify S/N's I think like this:

vmware --new-sn XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

I tried this with all the executables I could think of - vmware, vm, vmrun, but nothing seems

to work.

Anyone know how to do this? I guess I could try to give vmware the S/N by opening up the

vmware GUI through X11/ssh, but this sort of thing is typically so slow from where I am that

it literally would probably take hours to do.

TIA

I wasn't prompted for a serial number when I installed VMware

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Enter your serial once via GUI - then VMware creates a licence file which then can be added to future installs by simply copying it in place.

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
lemur
Contributor
Contributor

:Enter your serial once via GUI"

That's the problem right there - I can't get to the GUI.

I have been trying this over X11 via ssh for a while, and it is so slow that it times out

before I get a window on the local machine. Can't get to the actual physical machine either,

it's a thousand miles away from here.

So, I need to do this via command line. Is there now way to do it? If not, why can you

do it with VMware Server but not VMware Workstation?

Or, would this work - download another copy of VMware workstation to my local computer,

enter the S/N via the GUI on my local machine, and copy the license file to my server?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Or, would this work - download another copy of VMware workstation to my local computer, enter the S/N via the GUI on my local machine, and copy the license file to my server?

Yep - thats what I meant - enter your license to any VMware installation at hand - then copy the license-file - it will be named 'license.ws.6.0.200907' and you can find it in /root/.vmware.

It looks like this

1. VMware software license

StartFields = "Cpt, ProductID, LicenseVersion, LicenseType, Epoch"

Cpt = "COPYRIGHT (c) VMware, Inc. 1999-2007"

ProductID = "VMware Workstation for Linux"

LicenseVersion = "6.0"

LicenseType = "User"

Epoch = "2009-7-1"

Serial = "?????-??????-?????-????? "

Name = "????"

CompanyName = "????"

LastModified = "????"