VMware Communities
jrussel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Enhanced keyboard and its default setting.

If the use of the enhanced keyboard is recommended if available, how come it isn't set to that by default but turned off?

Enhanced keyboard.png

Also, is there any downside when choosing to install that feature? I believe it's not installed by default either.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You missunderstand it.

In a recommended, default installation the enhaced keyboard driver is not present.

So setting that to OFF in that dialogue is a reasonable choice.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Who says that the enhanced keyboard is recommended ?

I thought it is recommended not to install it unless you have special needs that require it.

0 Kudos
jrussel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think you misunderstood me, it seems to be recommended if available, that setting in the VM options.

I was wondering why the default was Off instead.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You missunderstand it.

In a recommended, default installation the enhaced keyboard driver is not present.

So setting that to OFF in that dialogue is a reasonable choice.

0 Kudos
jrussel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see, in a convoluted way of thinking it makes sense I think haha.

Thanks for clarifying!

EDIT: I thought of it a second time, I still think it could be unintended. I mean, if the default is followed and that feature isn't installed "Use if available" would be the same as "Off", but it'd be "On" if it was enabled without having to do anything.

After all, those who enable that feature during installation, they would do it for a reason I imagine; are they supposed to enable that manually for every single VM?

The "(recommended)" part is certainly confusing.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do not grow grey hair over this.

The GUI and the VMware documentation has always been years behind the recommendations of the community.

In some cases we complained for years until the GUI was modified to follow our recommendations.

Early Workstations did not even have a button to prevent installation of the enhanced keyboard driver.