VMware Communities
dude64
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Enabling Jumbo Frames in Workstation to run labs with NSX

This is an old topic. Has anyone figured out how to enable Jumbo frame support in Workstation or Fusion? In my case, to fully support default configuration of NSX vxlan which normally require 1600 byte frames. One can make NSX work by setting  all VDS switch MTU and ESXi VTEP interfaces to 1400, and I have found most apps and VMs work fine. But in some cases, a VM has a problem w/ MTU discovery and fails because it expects 1500 byte frames which can't fit inside the vxlan overlay network. It'd be a lot easier to build NSX labs if Workstation/Fusion supported Jumbo frames which I'm scratching my head on why Workstation/Fusion are missing this.

Thanks, dude64

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dude64
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good news. Workstation DOES support frames of up to exactly 1600 bytes if communications is restricted between VMs running on the same physical host where Workstation is running. I know this works w/ v14 and trying w/ v12. It doesn't work with frame larger than 1600 bytes and frame get dropped if trying to work across multiple physical host, i.e. two ESXi hosts in a NSX based VXLAN cluster as packets > 1500 bytes will get dropped when communicating across physical network between two physical host.

Dude64

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dude64
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good news. Workstation DOES support frames of up to exactly 1600 bytes if communications is restricted between VMs running on the same physical host where Workstation is running. I know this works w/ v14 and trying w/ v12. It doesn't work with frame larger than 1600 bytes and frame get dropped if trying to work across multiple physical host, i.e. two ESXi hosts in a NSX based VXLAN cluster as packets > 1500 bytes will get dropped when communicating across physical network between two physical host.

Dude64

0 Kudos
jamesanojan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried with MTU 1600, not working. I can ping within the esxi with the 1550 packet size, but not the other esxi IP range with 1550 packet size. ( 1450 packet size is working ) on the same VM workstation.

0 Kudos