VMware Communities
thiirane
Contributor
Contributor

Enabling GPU for VMWare Workstation running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Good Day!

Can someone please point me to the process for enabling my NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super on VMWare Workstation 15.5 running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.  I have seen a variety of posts.  It is very confusing.   I am grateful for your time and assistance.

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@thiirane 

Moderator: Please try and create a thread in the area for the product used - moved to Workstation Pro Discussions (though you may be using Workstation Player)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert

VMWare Workstation doesn't let you pass your physical GPU to the VM - the VMs can only use an emulated GPU.

thiirane
Contributor
Contributor

ok sorry about that.

0 Kudos
thiirane
Contributor
Contributor

Can you please point me to documentation on "Emulated GPU.  If you have a physical GPU, would it be used to run normally GPU intensive applications like AI?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@thiirane 

This thread may help you understand how Workstation utilities a GPU: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/GPU-not-recognized-utilized-in-Workstation-...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
thiirane
Contributor
Contributor

Hi scott28tt,

Ok well this link suggests all you have to do is to disable Hyper V and you should be able to leverage the virtual GPU through the Physical CPU/GPU right?  I wish there was more documentation on this specifically with some sort of test to demonstrate functionally of the virtual GPU.

Thanks for the link

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@thiirane 

It was the comments in that thread rather than the “fix” - there is no hard vGPU > pGPU linkage in Workstation.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

@thiirane wrote:

Can you please point me to documentation on "Emulated GPU.  If you have a physical GPU, would it be used to run normally GPU intensive applications like AI?

Sadly you can't run any code directly on the virtual GPU from within your VM.
This means that a workload such as AI isn't going to work in a VMware Workstation VM.

You'll have to do that at the host, or use a virtualisation solution that can pass-through the GPU ( vSphere or KVM come to mind )

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos