VMware Communities
RickLH
Contributor
Contributor

Enable DirectX?

I'm having trouble getting DirectX working on a Windows 7 laptop hosting a Windows XP guest. DirectX is installed on the laptop and, according to dxdiag, it is up and running. I installed DirectX on the VM, made modifications to the vmx file to enable it but dxdiag says that DirectDraw, Direct3D and AGP Texture Acceleration are not available. However, when click on the Test DirectDraw button, the test runs to a successful completion.

The host is a Lenovo T61p with an NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M in it. Dxdiag says that DirectX 11 is installed and that DirectDraw, Direct3D and Texture are all enabled.

The guest says that the display is a VMWare SVGA II, It says that Direct3D is not available and to check the driver. The vmx has these lines in it:

mks.enable3d = TRUE

svga.vramsize = 67108864

What drivers should I have and where can I get them? Are there other settings I should have?

====

Richard Lewis Haggard

www.haggard-and-associates.com

==== Richard Lewis Haggard www.haggard-and-associates.com
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
K-MaC
Expert
Expert

Hello Richard,

Unfortunately, at this time Workstation only supports DirectX 9.0c Shader Model 3 and OpenGL 2.13D. This is the reason you are not able to use these features. Please see the following page for more information.

http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation/new.html

The relevant information is about 1/2 way down the page.

'Best 3D Graphics Just Got Better

VMware Workstation was the first to support 3D graphics in virtualized environments and is now the first to support Windows Aero in Windows Vista and Windows 7 virtual machines. Run even more 3D applications with support for DirectX 9.0c Shader Model 3 and OpenGL 2.13D graphics in Windows virtual machines.'

Cheers

Kevin

Cheers Kevin
0 Kudos