VMware Communities
Kogha
Contributor
Contributor

Editing .vmx file cause corruption

Not sure if it's okay to bump a thread related to my issues as this is the only thread that mentions my problem of editing VMX files but not for the purpose of the OP:

My VMworkstation only has these for sound parameters which means I can only use my host audio card for the VM: 

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.present = "TRUE"

Trying to add any one of these (I do just one) sound.fileName = "Creative SB Live! Series"
sound.fileName = "Creative Sound Blaster PCI"
sound.fileName = "Crystal WDM Audio"
sound.fileName = "NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio"
sound.fileName = "SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [A000]"
sound.fileName = "SoundMAX Digital Audio"
sound.fileName = "YAMAHA AC-XG WDM Audio"

Corrupts the VMX file and thus I cannot change the VM sound card to something different.  This website says  you can do it but it doesn't work for me.  http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-sound.html

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I created a new discussion from your reply to an old post, to receive better attention.

What's the exact error message, and is a new vmware.log file created, which may contain more details?

André

0 Kudos
Kogha
Contributor
Contributor

It says it's corrupt until I put the unedited Windows XP VMX file back.  I hope I don't get yelled at for saying this:

On the actual VM modifcations I only have HOST Audio so I tried playing with various older versions on Archive.org to see if maybe it was an update but version 15 seems to cause random BSOD on my Windows 10 after a message telling me this 'app is not fully supported' asking me if I wanted to continue at my own risk so I remain at 16 that's the only version supported by 10.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

@a_p_ wrote:

I created a new discussion from your reply to an old post, to receive better attention.

What's the exact error message, and is a new vmware.log file created, which may contain more details?

André

The user already had another thread active on this here: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/No-Sound-Dev-options-Cannot-change-sound-ca...

So now there's 2.

the sound.filename parameter should not be set, just keep it at -1.

It does not do what the user thinks it does. The only reason I pointed to Ulli's site (sanbarrow.com) was because it got the syntax for .virtualDev instead of .dev that they thought it was.

The soundblaster feature is explained in the OTHER link I posted as well.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Kogha
Contributor
Contributor

So there's no way to add any of those different sound card in the VMX files other then my host audio?  These are the settings again on my VMX file. sound.autoDetect = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.present = "TRUE"

I want to be able to change it to Crystal Audio somehow but don't know what to do since I lack the Sound.Dev options. 

0 Kudos