VMware Communities
Flisk
Contributor
Contributor

EVE Online on VMware 8.0.1

Hello guys,

I would like to ask if anybody got this game working on VMware 8.0.1 , because I cant get it running correctly on OSes Vista/Win7/Win8 .

Thing is fps are nice its like 200-400fps on low settings which is obviously more than enough but problem comes with UI delay , everything on game overview , market , wallet , locking targets and so on is hardly delay like 2-10seconds which makes game absolutly unplayable .

This occures when I set more than 1 core to guest system. When I set guest 1 cpu and 1 core , its working for a while (5mins up to 3-4 Hours) but always after some time UI problems starts again and I have to restart game , but restarting game for example 3-5 times in hour doesnt sound like a good solution to me Smiley Sad

If anybody got solution for this , it would be great.

ps : Win XP is working but there is problem with game performance -> its rly bad 10 - 40 fps Smiley Sad

Thank you in advance for help/info .

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
47 Replies
Flisk
Contributor
Contributor

Bump, anybody ? please ?

0 Kudos
Sythrar
Contributor
Contributor

Use VMware Workstation Technology Preview 2012 http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/beta/workstationtp2012

I hope to improve.

0 Kudos
Flisk
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, thx I will try it right now Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
XPNet
Contributor
Contributor

I wish I found this thread before I upgraded my VMWare tools.

I was running VMWare version 7 and upgraded to VMWare 8.0.1.

Eve ran great! Actually better performance then VM7. Used it for 2 or three days no problem. Since it was working so great I upgraded the VMWare tools. BIG MISTAKE, Windows will load now to a black desktop, Horrible performance in game and is unplayable. I did not make a snap shot image so a driver restore does not solve the problem 100%.

Question is now, Is there a way I can install the VMWare 7 Drivers back into my VM machine?   Otherwise do I have to completely uninstall VM8, reinstall VM7, Rebuild my VMMachine, Install the Tools. Reinstall Windows, Reregister Windows, Load my game back in, make sure the configuration works, uninstall VM7 and reinstall VM8 because of some dumb bug in VM8's tools.

HAS ANYONE FOUND A FIX TO THIS OR A WAY TO REVERT THE OLD TOOLS.. Wasted 8 hours already on this stupid thing.

I seen some references in the search for 3d performance working with odd driver combinations but no offical thread from VMWare support.

0 Kudos
Flisk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

8 Hours ? Oh man I wasted more than 8 whole days on this VM 8 issue :smileygrin:

But It was never working correctly for me Smiley Sad It's still same, now as first day - eve works fine for random time 1-10 hours and than UI starts lagging rly hard which makes it absolutely unplayable .

Maybe its VMware tool problem but can't find working tools Smiley Sad

And this new 2012 March beta VMware has rly bad performance in eve , VMware 8 is best but ... there is UI lag issue .. I will get 3930k in like 2 weeks so I will check if it's processor related or not.

0 Kudos
XPNet
Contributor
Contributor

I reverted from one of my old backups, How do I find the driver version so I can share what works with my configuration? 

0 Kudos
Flisk
Contributor
Contributor

U should have WMware Tool icon in right bottom corner , if u click it twice u get Tool Properties and than if u click "About" there is Version X.X.X Build-XXXXXX Smiley Wink

And please share also your hardware configuration. And OS u are running in VMware .

Tyvm Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
XPNet
Contributor
Contributor

Host OS is Windows 7 SP1 Professional 64Bit

i7-860 @ 2.80 8.00 GB Ram

Graphic Card is XFX AMD RADEON HD6870

I haven't had a chance for eve to redownload yet but the version of VMWare tools this here.

Version 8.4.6, build-385536

But it's not just a bug with Eve Online, Windows doesn't even display the Icons right with the current version of the VMTools and drivers and this is very frustrating.

WhenI did a roll back the driver was VMWare SVGA-3d Dated 4/21/20 version 7.14.1.42.

There has to be a better driver to install with VM8.  We'll find a fix in this thread I think this will help the people out with the Gnome graphic issues also or some one smart will come along and just show us the offical posted patch where ever it is hidden.

0 Kudos
XPNet
Contributor
Contributor

Can confirm that once the VM Machine is corrupted with this graphic problem, installing the older drivers do not help.

0 Kudos
XPNet
Contributor
Contributor

Alright,

So I have two PCs.. My desktop PC and my Netbook which happens to be a Alienware m11x r3 with 16 gigs of ram. Thats VM was upgraded to version 8 also and still has the original working VM from version 7 with no performance problems currently. Is there a way for me to compare the two to see what changed after the upgrade of the tools to make performance so horrible?

0 Kudos
drakonan
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys I've been dealing with this for awhile now and can't believe I never ever looked to see if anyone else had this specific issue.

What I saw today was whatever causes the "graphical lag" symptom  spikes the CPU load all the way in the VM when the problem occurs  (whatever that

is).  Also, the majority of that spike is Kernel time as you can turn on see  in the Task Manager.  I can shutdown the vm close vmware and restart  them, problem is gone... for so long...  just as you're describing the  it has more of a latency "feel" to it...

Interestingly I'm seeing AMD Radeon 6850's in here as that is what I have and have been wondering if it's something buggy with the driver.  I have nothing against AMD but they seem to a much higher occurence of "odd" issues, and with the kernel times being high... one might rightly suspect a driver issue.  Is anyone having this issue without an AMD or a 6000 series card?

I'm running on an older i7 (920) can confirm adding cpu's seems to hurt (if anything) rather than help this symptom.

Sometimes I can "free look" in Eve space and while its delayed the FPS seems high enough...   This lag appears to cause other issues in the game where targets dont seem to disappear when they are destroyed and any kind of ui element that responds to mouse hovering is grossly affected to the point it's almost unusable without working around the issue by trying not to hover over a list of items prior to clicking one. (if you do, and in this instance I'm referring to the targets list overview in this game, if i were to move my mouse up the list from the bottom to click the top, every element seems to have to respond and the response is taking a second or so instead of an immediate response to cause the process to take a good while in the problem state which would normally be instant.

Lastly, i'm in a station now which is just a 2D screen (I have the 3d environment turned off for stations) and even in there during this problem,  my cpu is cycling between 30-37% with 80% in kernel times.

I'm running the latest 8.0.2, Win7 on Win7.  Aero enabled in VM (as another forum post suggested that running without might cause another issue where the 3d acceleration turns off, but doesn't help)

Any devs able to step in and ask for any kind of info?  I haven't tried turning on any logging yet or anything but will do that now.

Maybe we can do some xperf stuff or something to get a feel for this or should we be looking at something else?

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
XPNet
Contributor
Contributor

What throws me off is how well it was running for the first couple days. I was testing performance and I could run 2 clients in the VM and 3 clients in the host PC with no real problems. The only thing I can think of is that the VM I had was in a suspended state from the version 7 and I restarted it.. Also I"m wondering if it's because I'm in different space then I was before.. I moved from Gallentee to Minitar space was the only other thing I changed (bigger background).

So I know  it "can" run eve inside the VM.. it is just something is "off" now and it's very frustrating. I can't even target something, it takes like 2 seconds for it to even registered I clicked something to target.  Arrgg.. and I was so pleased with PVPing and not alt tabbing to my off grid booster. :smileysilly:

Come on we need a fix for this!

Update > So I restarted the host PC and the problem has went away. So I guess this has nothing to do with the VM Machine and more to do with VMWare 8 Workstation?

0 Kudos
Flisk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Drakonan,

Yea this is exact same problem I am trying to solve Smiley Sad But it's not about GFX Card , I have GTX470 in SLI and it's still same story, after some random time lag comes in.

What is even more sad is that the new VMware 2012 Preview isn't working also - it has worse performance than 7.1.4 Smiley Sad And with VMware 8 Tools it seems working but, again after some time it gets different issue - fps are spiking fast in bentween 25-35 so its also unplayable - kind of lagging fast :smileygrin:

I have no Idea whats going on .. why can't someone fix this ..

0 Kudos
Flisk
Contributor
Contributor

Problem went away, yes but for how long is it working for example for 20 hours fine ? Or I found that if u set 4 cores to virtual machine it starts lagging much much faster Smiley Happy So u can try it out Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
XPNet
Contributor
Contributor

My configuration is with 2 processors and 2 cores I just switched it to 1 to see if that would help. So the first time I went for 3 days without noticing a issue lets see where I am in another 3 days.

I will not update the VMTools again until we get some offical word from the company.

0 Kudos
Flisk
Contributor
Contributor

So, how's it working so far with one core XPNet ?

0 Kudos
XPNet
Contributor
Contributor

I been away from my computer so had to shut down the testing,

After 18 hours I notices some minor lag apearing.

I wonder if the VMWare community knows of a tool we can use to monitor this growing lag.  When I get back I can load up 5 maximized clients in one VM and see how long it takes for it to go completely to crap again. I can do this test over the weekend and see what happens.

I think a good point is once this breaking point is reached in VMWare.. the host PC needs to be restarted to restore functionality. "what causes this"?

I think by solving these problems it will make VMWare a better product.

0 Kudos
Flisk
Contributor
Contributor

Bump, any news ? : )

0 Kudos
XPNet
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, I got a bluescreen of death on my host system and now none of my vmwares will load they are all locked.

0 Kudos
Flisk
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, I am sorry to hear that, hope u get it back "working" soon Smiley Wink

0 Kudos