VMware Communities
lturkin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi vs. VMware Workstation 7.1.1

Hi Guys,

I got a good questions for you. I have a workstation at home which has the following Hardware Specs:

AMD Quad Core

8 GB of RAM

500 GB HDD

1 GB Intel NIC

It is currently running ESXi. I am wondering should I revert back to Ubuntu Linux or keep it ESXi.

Any suggestions???

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Much easier to do ESX testing inside of Workstation. You can create as many virtual NICs as you like to give to the ESX VMs

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That depends on...?

If you run ESXi you always need a second system to access the guests. What is your focus regarding that decision?

Stability?

Performance?

Ease of use?

Hardware support?

...?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
lturkin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I use that workstation for learning different operating systems. I have been debating and was looking for an opinion.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

then I would use workstation - and use a ESX and ESXi as a VM - if your CPU supports it

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

You also find me in the support crew of PHD Virtual Backup

MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Much easier to do ESX testing inside of Workstation. You can create as many virtual NICs as you like to give to the ESX VMs

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I run ESXi both ways. Keep in mind that when running it as a VM under workstation you won't be able to run 64 bit operating systems because the virtualization support bits are not virtualized. When I try to convert a 64 bit operating system, I get the error "The destination does not support 64-bit guests".

Lou

Just home from some time off, in the Florida Keys.

0 Kudos