VMware Communities
PBarfield
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Host

How many ESXi host can be added to VMWare Workstation 8?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

How much memory do you have in the machine running Workstation? That will likely be the limiting factor you run into.  I have had three running in a laptop with 8GB RAM.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
abbie11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi pbarfiled

welcome to vmware forum,

please let us know the your hardwar configuration ,

but generally its reconned the 3 if you are running workstation or if server its depends upon version and support 4 to unlimited .

Yours, Abbie

Winning!
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

It's a bit unclear to me what you are asking.

If the question is "how many nested ESXi Virtual Machines can I run concurrently on my Workstation 8 host" then I concur with the two other replies and would say that it depends on your Workstation host. But then it would also depend on the amount of guests you would run in those virtual ESXi hosts.

The rule of thumb is how much memory your workstation host has, for the vESXi hosts you would need at least 2GB/vHost and then add for the size of each guest that you want to run. Plus of course a bit of extra overhead used per vHost. So an 8GB Workstation host would indeed be able to run about 3 vESXi hosts, taking into account the extra overhead and that any recent host OS like Windows 7 needs at least 1GB for itself.

On the other hand if you are asking "How many ESXi hosts can I connect to from my Workstation  8" then I would say "unlimited" ... where unlimited is a number that is still limited by hardware, but in a way that each ESXi host that you connect to just uses a tiny bit of resources.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos