VMware Communities
yojimbouk
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.0 on VMware Workstation 7 with AMD-V

I want to play around with creating VI in a box having the ESX server, SAN and vCenter servers all virtualized on the same machine.

So I set up a test machine with an ASUS M4N78-AM motherboard and Athlon 64 X2 5400+ CPU (Brisbane core). I believe I've enabled hardware virtualization in the BIOS (secure virtual machine mode) and the CPU supports the AMD-V extensions.

The OS is XP x64 and the machine had 4GB RAM.

However, when I power up the ESX VM I get a message saying the CPU will not support all of the features of worksation and it reverts to software based virtualization. I do not have this problem with my Core 2 Duo notebook.

So which of these is the case?

1) AMD-V doesn't support the features required for nested VMs.

2) My motherboard doesn't support AMD-V even though the CPU does.

Jim.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have a look at this document

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8970

AMD-V Hosts

AMD-V is supported on Rev F and later Family 0FH AMD64 processors, but current VMware products only support AMD-V on Family 10H or later AMD64 processors (Barcelona or Phenom). Thus, you can use AMD-V on Family 0FH Rev F and Rev G processors with Workstation 6.0. However, you need a Family 10H processor to use AMD-V with ESX 3.5 and Workstation 6.5.

yojimbouk
Contributor
Contributor

Processor is family 15, stepping G2. Is this not supported?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

according to this KB, your CPU is not supported, but I could be wrong.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003945

Hopefully will chime in.

0 Kudos
ksc
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, the 1st-generation AMD-V implementation is lacking enough features that we don't support the hardware virtualization mode anymore on Family 0FH RevF / RevG cores (Windsor / Brisbane). Support was removed between WS6.0 and WS6.5 - as I recall, it took a lot of code complexity to code around the limitations, performance never was as good as our binary-translation implementation, so it got dropped. (If 1st-generation Intel VT were not absolutely necessary to run 64-bit VMs on Intel chips, it likely would have been dropped too.)

The 2nd-generation AMD-V implementation (with RVI) has full support - which means Family 10H RevB / RevC. Phenom or Athlon II, or Opteron with part numbers beginning 13xx, 23xx, 83xx. Athlon X2 Brisbane is 0FH and doesn't work, Athlon X2 Kuma is 10H and does work.

yojimbouk
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to all.

0 Kudos