VMware Communities
Feri80
Contributor
Contributor

ERROR: 64-bit guest operating systems. This host does not support Intel VT-x. !!

Hi ,

I've installed a virtual "Windows 2008 R2 standard" on my "Macbook pro"  successfully ( I have fusion 5 on my Macbook) .

Now I'm trying to install ESX 5.0 on my virtual windows 2008 and getting below error (i'm using Vmware workstation 10.0.1 on windows 2008)  :

=================================================

This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating systems. However, 64-bit operation is not possible.

This host does not support Intel VT-x.

For more detailed information, see http://vmware.com/info?id=152.

=================================================

After getting this error, I tried to install same ESX iso  through fusion on my Mac OS and result was successful so I think my CPU support VT-x !!

Anyone knows how can I install ESX on my virtual windows 2008? what could be the problem here ?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi user,

Wait.. let me get this straight.

You're running on a Macbook Pro, then Fusion, then have a virtual machine in Fusion running windows, in that virtual machine you're running VMware Workstation (?) and now within that you are trying to run ESX5?

So running nested virtualisation already and then you want to install ESX?

I have to admire your aspiration, but why are you not installing ESX directly in Fusion? There it is expected to work.

edit: reread your question. You _did_ install in Fusion directly as well.

The -simplified- answer is that the VT-x extensions are not passed on to your virtual guest that is hosting VMware Workstation.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Feri80
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wil,

thanks for your quick reply, I'm new with VMware so I'm just following an instruction to prepare the lab env ...

I already installed VCENTER on virtual Windows 2008 , that was the reason I tried to install ESX on the same ..

-- Feri

0 Kudos
Feri80
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

So you mean technically it is not possible to install ESX on my virtual guest (windows 2008) ? 

-Feri

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

It may be possible to install ESXi 3.5 inside Workstation inside Fusion.
For ESXi 4 and 5 you cant use this double virtualisation layer. Install them into Fusion VMs

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Feri80 wrote: ... I'm new with VMware so I'm just following an instruction to prepare the lab env ...

I already installed VCENTER on virtual Windows 2008 , that was the reason I tried to install ESX on the same ..

Okay, you say you were just following directions however even if continuum's suggestion would work two things come to mind, one you'd only be able to install 32-bit Guest OSes in a double-nested ESXi VM and performance will be abysmal even though just using as a Lab.  From a practical standpoint installing ESXi under VMware Fusion is what you should do, since the primary Host is a Mac, and you'll be able to install 64-bit Guest OSes and the performance will be much better then when being double-nested.  You should also be able to access ESXi in the VM from vCenter on the Windows 2008 VM, just make sure both VM's Network Adapter are set to the same type.

0 Kudos