VMware Communities
bizzarro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

E1000 for XP VM in Workstation 8?

Hello,

i set up a new development lab workstation and using Workstatoin 8.

I started a new XP VM and before I do anything I edit hte vmx to change the network to E1000.

When I do that it errors out with no Operating system found or other times wipes out the entire vmw file except for a few entries.

the question is, does Workstation 8 not recognize this entry anymore for XP VM or did I put it in the wrong place?  I have it working fine on Workstation 7 with the E1000 entry so I don't know what I could be doing wrong?

I have a boot CD that doens't have the AMD drivers and don't feel like creating a new one just for that.

Also it would be great if they can include an entry for the bios bootdelay instead of having to alter the vmx files.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

WS 8 uses
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

please attach the vmx-file that produces the problem

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

WS 8 uses
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

please attach the vmx-file that produces the problem

0 Kudos
bizzarro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmmm...  I copied hte entry from the Workstaiton 7 vmx that I had working and it didn't work when I created a few XP VM last night just to test it.

It appears to be working now that I can actually boot to install XP.  I think at this point it should install.

Does it matter whne that entry is added?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the order of lines does not matter
I usually sort them alphabetically

0 Kudos