Contributor
Contributor

Dreaded Windows Bluescreen when running VMware on Windows XP x64

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jordana
Contributor
Contributor

I've just built a new PC running Windows XP Professional X64 (64 bit).

\[My PC consists of an Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard, Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 / 2.66 GHz chip, 4GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 HPC Edition RAM.]

I keep getting a bluescreen (see above) when trying to run the lastest version of VMware workstation on my new PC runnign Windows XP Professional x64. I also get the same error when trying to run the VMware Player (have a sepate post for this in the VMware Player section).

I can see the following error in the Event log:

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Save Dump

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1001

Date: 11/07/2007

Time: 23:49:59

User: N/A

Computer: GEM64

Description:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000050 (0xfffffadf919ff0ba, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff80001034faa, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Also this error:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 7000

Date: 11/07/2007

Time: 23:51:12

User: N/A

Computer: GEM64

Description:

The Vstor2 WS60 Virtual Storage Driver service failed to start due to the following error:

The system cannot find the path specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Windows error report reports the following:

http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/10/en-us/5.2.3790.2.00010100.2.0?SGD=13c94da6-519c-...

Anyone have any ideas?[/b]

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Are you installing the VMware Workstation software using the "Local Admin" account and not a domain account?

Did this PC have any other VMware software installed before you installed WS 6?

0 Kudos
Jordana
Contributor
Contributor

Are you installing the VMware Workstation software

using the "Local Admin" account and not a domain

account?

Did this PC have any other VMware software installed

before you installed WS 6?

I'm using a local admin account.

Well after installing Windows XP Pro 64bit, I then installed VMware Player - this was bluescreening. So then I installed VMWare Workstation and the same problem is happening.

Anyway I'm going to do a fresh install of XP 64bit and try installing VMware again.

It would be great to get VMWare working on XP 64bit, I've just finnished doing a test install of VMware on XP 32bit and created a clone of my old PC and VMware is just FANTASTIC in what it can do!

0 Kudos
Jordana
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, just a quick heads-up. I did a complete new install of Windows XP Pro x64 and VMware Workstation under the Administration account created during the installation (something I think I did not do the first time) and IT ALL WORKS! Smiley Happy)

0 Kudos
Jordana
Contributor
Contributor

ARGHHHH!!! Spoke too soon!

Blue screen is happening again BUT I've found the cause of the problem.

I have an MSI/Nvidia GE Force NX8600GTS Graphic card and when I install the driver for this. Then I get the blue screen. The problem is that even when I unstall the driver I still get a blue screen. I have to reinstall a fresh copy of Windows XP to fix it \!!!

I'm using a 64 bit driver found here

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp64_158.22_uk.html

I dont know how to resolve this??!!

0 Kudos
untg
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having exactly the same problem and I'm using exactly the same video card, the NX 8600GTS.

I'm using XP 64 bit with the Administrator account, I haven't tried reinstalling Windows because I don't want to reinstall windows at this stage.

I click the start to start the vmware and the computer just blue screens, as soon as I click the start button thing on the vmware screen.

Pretty bad if my XP 64 bit machine decides to corrupt and not start Smiley Sad

0 Kudos