VMware Communities
drlaz
Contributor
Contributor

Drag and drop copy from host to guest goes only to temp folder?!

Host: Fedora 10; Guest: Win XP Home; Workstation 6.5.1

Trying to copy/paste files to and from Windows Explorer and Linux navigator windows by drag and drop. From guest to host, works fine. From host to guest, the copied file ends up in a folder inside C:\Documents and Settings\myusername\Local Settings\Temp\VMwareDnD. No sign of it in the window it was dropped on. Copy and paste with right-clicks works correctly.

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
GoatCheez
Contributor
Contributor

Host: Windows Server 2008; Guest: Windows XP Pro; Workstatino 6.5.1 - 126130

I'm having a very similar issue here. I can't drag from host to guest at all. I can copy and paste from host to guest, including files via right-click. I can drag and drop or copy and paste from guest to host fine.

0 Kudos
afk
Contributor
Contributor

For those that still experience copy/paste problems and are searching for solutions via Google or this forum, this is (a) solution that works for me:

Using VMware Player 2.5.0 b118166; Host OS WinXP 5.1.2600 SP3; Fedora10 Kernel 2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.i686 Image:

To fix Copy'n Paste, as well as Drag'n Drop (this assumes that you have VMware tools installed on the Linux image AND that it's running in the background):

Sub user to root.

$ su

Go to the VMware tools dir.

$ cd /etc/vmware-tools/

VI edit this file.

$ vi vmware-user.desktop

Insert "Type=Application" on its own line after the line "Desktop Entry".

Save the file and exit VI.

Reboot the VMware player by restarting Fedora (System --> Shutdown --> Restart).

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
giuaho
Contributor
Contributor

Hey do you know how to drag and drop from guest to guest on vm workstation?

0 Kudos