VMware Communities
MarcelE
Contributor
Contributor

Domain simulation

We have two domains with different Windows and Office versions. We want to do some simulations before we release internal software without interfering the real network.

I have read that VM-Workstation kan simulate different Windows versions (images) on a single server, but can it also simulate different domains while remotely accessing the server from the actual domain?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yep

Each vm is equivelent to a shiney new computer, it can have different domains, different memory sizes, disk sizes, networks.. etc

MarcelE
Contributor
Contributor

wow, quick Smiley Happy

\- I can place the images of PC's from domain A and B on the server as A" and B".

\- On this server I also simulate a domaincontroller.

\- This server is connected as domain C to the real network.

\- So only when I login on domain C, I can see the remote desktops of A" and B", and therefore nicely do my simulation stuff.

Am I correct?

0 Kudos
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

For A and B you could indeed P2V them onto virtual machines.

I dont follow which server you are gonna do as the domain controller? a 3rd vm?

is the DC the same server you refer as connected to Domain C? If you have a virtual DC which is part of a real network this could be hard work for it, as when its not up and running numerous updates will be missed and it will need to keep up. Also if its the only one who can see the A and B machines, this could cause some confusion.

personally, Id make a whole new domain and put them in it.. or, p2v a DC and shut it off from the network, and attach A and B to it, so its a network in its own right with no external connections and you can fubar the whole thing without issue.

0 Kudos
MarcelE
Contributor
Contributor

Well as I am part of the test department, I want to be able to test what (w/c)ould happen in certain circumstances while not interfering in the real environment.

I also want the 6 computers out of the office and replace it with one (for this dedicated) server in the serverroom (and IT will lock the door).

While this server is running VM's with existing domains, I don't want them to be part of the network. I think it needs a separating testdomain: Domain C.

Maybe a p2v of the existing DC is an option because this new server should (almost) virtually mirror the existing network environment.

\[quote]If you have a virtual DC which is part of a real network this could be hard work for it, as when its not up and running numerous updates will be missed and it will need to keep up[/quote]

I think this server, and also the vDC, will stay on. So it will not miss any updates. The other VM's should only get an update because of a new available image..

Do you think this will work, or do I need something else?

0 Kudos
N5BZ
Contributor
Contributor

You put the virtual machines that you do NOT want to have access to the outside world on a different virtual network.

VMnet0 is by default bridged to the outside world (Vmachines need their own ip addresses, may be picked up via DHCP from your network).

VMnet1 talks ONLY to the host machine (by default)

VMnet8 uses NAT to access the outside world via the hosts IP address

The other virtual networks are ISOLATED from the outside world and can be used for testing stuff. Each can be a separate virtual network, with virtual firewalls, virtual routers, etc., provided you can find software to install on virtual machines to emulate those things.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well, if you P2V your DC into vDC .. you dont want it to have connectivity to your host (if your host was part of the domain)

My suggestion would be

Set up a team

P2V your DC into vDC

P2V your other boxes as necessary into your team

This gives them a network between them but that your host and nothing else is on so you can have duplicate IPs for the real world, the whole monty.

0 Kudos