VMware Communities
KegOfGPU
Contributor
Contributor

Does vmware have non cloud based Hardware GPU acceleration?

Does vmware Workstation Pro have support for NON cloud  hardware GPU acceleration?

I have a few computers that I am interested in buying it for if it does.

We simply do not have the bandwidth for cloud solutions and even if we did it still would not be ideal.

The graphics cards that we have in the computers in question are NVIDIA GTX 1070, 1050 and one with AMD Vega RX that I was told did have hardware GPU passthrough.

This would be for older operating systems all the way back to Windows XP with Direct X 9.0C.

And if it could support other OSes that would be a big plus.

I cannot get vmware sales to answer this, they send me to tech support that says that I have to buy it to get my questions answered. I will buy at least three licences if it does hardware GPU without network having to be run. We have a VERY slow and unreliable connection.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Not sure what "non cloud based hardware GPU acceleration" actually means, but..

The question if you can directly use your GPU's from within the VM is easy to answer and the answer for that is no.

VMware Workstation does not offer PCI passthrough, so you cannot directly use these graphics cards from within the VM.

The product from VMware that does offers PCI passthrough is vSphere.

Perhaps that's what you meant with "cloud based"?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos