VMware Communities
AKA_Rick
Contributor
Contributor

Does taking/recompiling a snapshot leave any history on the virtual machine?

Does taking/recompiling a snapshot leave any history on the virtual machine?

2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With "recompiling" I assume you're thinking of "deleting" a snapshot!?

There's no kind of history within the VM's productive files themselves, i.e. configuration file, disk file(s), etc. However, the incremented "snapshot.lastUID" entry in the VM's .vmsd metadata file, and the entries in the vmware*.log files my give you a hint.

André

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I am not sure what you mean with recompiling a snapshot - anyway here is a short summary.
- snapshot-operations of course leave a history if you look at the directory where the VM is stored. Snapshot operations can be analysed looking at the vmware.logs. The vmdk-files will be changed as well as the vmsd and vmsn-files.
- looking inside the guest itself when the vmware-tools are not installed: in this case snapshot operations will not be registered by the guest - unless you get VSS-service entries in the system-logs
- same as above with vmware-tools installed: if the vmware-tools  are configured to write logs you can find entries that describe the interaction with the host - typically you can find VSS-issues like timeouts in the system-logs when snapshots are created while the guest is very busy