VMware Communities
codfather
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone know if there is a link to get the latest VMwaretools?

I have just fixed a problem on a VMware workstation installation with Ubuntu 9.04 by grabbing the VMwaretools from my workstation 7 beta machine. I was able to fix several problems using the VMwareTools-8.1.0-169612.tar.gz file that ships with that release, but it seems daft I had to grab them from another installation.

I was just wondering if there is a web link that points to the latest builds of VMware tools to solve this problem in the future.

Cheers

Nick

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

At this time, no there is not. The only way to get the Tools ISO files is from one of the product packages.

0 Kudos
codfather
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thanks for the info.

May I make a suggestion then, that it would make a lot of sense to make these builds easily available as to not do so doesn't make any sense.

Thanks

Nick

0 Kudos
Krellan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do you sign up for the VMware Workstation 7 beta?

I'd love to get a hold of that beta, in hopes of seeing the official fixes for the Nehalem problem and the kernel 2.6.29 (and 2.6.30 and 2.6.31) problem.

0 Kudos
codfather
Contributor
Contributor

If you have a look on the web site, you can sign up for the beta programs. The build I have is working extremely well on Ubuntu 9.04 as the host, so I would expect to see an announcement fairly shortly about a public beta or release candidate. The VMwaretools fixed many problems with several Linux guests I needed to run, and there their are some good new features in the Linux version.

Nick

0 Kudos
ajaipathak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Probably u will get latest Vmware tools on this site.

http://vsphere-land.com/category/vsphere-links

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Krellan: Right now, there is no public beta for the next version of Workstation. You'll probably have to wait until there is an announcement about a public beta version.

A: I doubt it. Eric (the person who runs that site) is also a VMTN moderator and knows better than to post links to files he doesn't own.

0 Kudos