VMware Communities
peterboulton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does Workstation 9 run under Windows 10 Pro?

Before I commit to upgrading my computer (i.e. the physical, host machine) to Windows 10 (from Win7), please can anyone tell me if the VMware Workstation version 9 on it will survive the upgrade?

From the Win10 upgrades I've done on some other machines some non-Microsoft service applications don't automatically restart after the upgrade.

However, as long as a reinstall of VMware 9 onto the Win 10, if necessary, gets me back to working order after the Win10 upgrade and I don't lose the virtual machines then I will go ahead.  But for-warned is for-armed so any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

Pete

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Without even having tried, I'd say "NO" as there are problems with Workstation 10 running under Windows 10.

You will normally not loose virtual machine if you select to upgrade instead of a fresh install of Windows 10, but in order to actually use those virtual machines you will have to upgrade VMware Workstation.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Without even having tried, I'd say "NO" as there are problems with Workstation 10 running under Windows 10.

You will normally not loose virtual machine if you select to upgrade instead of a fresh install of Windows 10, but in order to actually use those virtual machines you will have to upgrade VMware Workstation.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
peterboulton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Wila.  Looks like I'll get the "free"upgrade from Microsoft and a paid upgrade from VMware! :smileylaugh:

Pete

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

In your case I would probably wait on the paid upgrade and run the beta (tech preview) as Windows 10 support isn't added to Workstation 11 yet either. I think Workstation 11 works, but please test before you buy.

Try VMware Workstation, Run Linux and Windows in a Virtual Machine | United States

Trial version are full functional and complete versions, you only need a license to activate after the 30 days trial.

The preview version is here and is works until December 31 (official version would normally be released by that time):

VMware Workstation Technology Preview 2015

--

Wil

0 Kudos
peterboulton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for this information.

I have upgraded to Win 10.  Prior to the upgrade I made vhdx files of all my VMware Workstation guest machines using the SysInternals Disk2Vhd utility.

I then uninstalled VMWare Workstation and completed the upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro (64 bits).

I then enabled the built-in Hyper-V option in Win 10 and created virtual machines using the vhdx files I'd previously created.

To be honest, I haven't found anything significantly missing from Hyper-V compared to VMware Workstation, or at least, in the way I use it.  The vhdx files seem to only support gen-1 Hyper-V machines but that may be the definition of the original virtual disc in VMware.  Either way, the Hyper-V machines are fine for me.

I may return to VMware when it's Windows 10 compatible but to be honest, the benefit of Hyper-V is that it will always be compatible with the current version of Windows because it's a core part of the current version of Windows.  That's a big advantage and, as I've said, I don't notice any significant performance or functional differences between the two environments.

Call me a traitor if you like ..... Smiley Wink

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond to my questions.  You helped me come to the solution that works best for me.

Pete

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Call me a traitor if you like .....

That would be a rather childish thing to do.

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond to my questions.  You helped me come to the solution that works best for me.

You're welcome.

I'm just glad to hear you have a solution that works well for you.

Quite frankly I'd prefer people choosing VMware for the features needed as for anything else. I understand your reasoning and while that's not my personal choice I've got nothing against why hyper-V works for your workflow.

--

Wil