VMware Communities
Badgerballs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does VMWorkstation support direct3d?

I tried to install a fairly undemanding Adventure game ina VM and it didn't want to play ball. I understand VMWare 6 supports Direct3d. My VM is xppro sp2 and it has Directx 9.0c installed by default, I ran the dxdiag test and it seemed to work. VMTools installed.

The game requirements are:

System requirements: Windows XP or Vista, 1.5GHz processor, 256MB RAM, 32MB 3D-accelerated video card

My machine is Vostro 1700 Dual Core T7500 4GB RAM 256 Nvidia 8600GT 17" 1900*1200 WUXGA

Any ideas as to why I am having problems?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
larstr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Workstation 6 still only supports (99% of) directX 8.1. No released vmware products support anything greater than that, and it seems that Fusion might be the first product to support DX 9, and then the other Workstation related products will probably follow shortly.

Lars

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For a while DX support was limited to 8.1. Fusion 1.1 has 9.0 with no shaders, I'm not sure if that was also put into the most recent release of WS6 or not. What's the game, and what version of Workstation are you running?

Badgerballs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the interest, the game is Sam & Max Season 1 and I am running VMware Workstation ACE Edition 6.0.1 build 55017.

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Workstation 6 still only supports (99% of) directX 8.1. No released vmware products support anything greater than that, and it seems that Fusion might be the first product to support DX 9, and then the other Workstation related products will probably follow shortly.

Lars

0 Kudos